Last updated: September 6, 2022
You can connect a WhatsApp Business Account as a channel in the conversations inbox. Messages sent to your WhatsApp phone number will create a new thread in the inbox.
Before you get started
Before connecting a WhatsApp Business Account to the conversations inbox, you will need the following:
- The legal name of your company and your WhatsApp display name.
- The URL of your business website.
- Your business email address.
- Admin permission for your company’s Meta Business Manager account.
- Access to the company phone number that you want to send messages with.
- The number must be able to receive voice calls.
- It must not be part of an IVR (Interactive Voice Response) system, or have IVR disabled for a period.
Please note: The phone number you use must not be connected to another WhatsApp account, WhatsApp for Business App, or another WhatsApp integration. If the number is already associated with another WhatsApp account, you must first disconnect it before connecting it to HubSpot.
Keep in mind the following limitations when connecting and using the WhatsApp integration:
- Each WhatsApp for Business Account can have up to 25 phone numbers associated with it.
- Only new messages after you connect your WhatsApp Business Account will sync to HubSpot. Historical conversations will not be synced.
- Once connected to HubSpot, messages will no longer appear in the WhatsApp mobile app or web app, and will only appear in the conversations inbox in your HubSpot account.
When you integrate your WhatsApp Business account with HubSpot, you will be agreeing to Meta Data Hosting Terms. As part of using WhatsApp Integration, your WhatsApp Business account data (e.g., messages sent using the WhatsApp integration) will be stored with Meta Data Hosting located in the US. When using WhatsApp, Meta will be processing your data as a sub processor.
- Where HubSpot engages sub processors, HubSpot will impose data protection terms on the sub processor that provide at least the same level of protection for Personal Data as those under HubSpot’s Data Processing Agreement. HubSpot has adequate data protections by agreeing to a data processing agreement with Meta.
- If your Customer Data is hosted in the EU, Meta Data Hosting will be subject to the exclusions section in HubSpot’s Regional Data Hosting policy. Data processed via the WhatsApp Business integration with HubSpot will be stored on Meta’s servers in the United States.
- HubSpot will be updating HubSpot’s Data Processing Agreement and Regional Data Hosting Policy to reflect these changes after the beta period.
Connect a WhatsApp Business Account channel
In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon in the main navigation bar.
In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Inbox > Inboxes.
Click Connect a channel.
Click Continue with WhatsApp.
In the pop-up window, log in to your Facebook account, then click Continue as [name].
Click Get started.
Review the permissions HubSpot will need to access in order to connect, then click Continue.
Select an existing Meta Business Account that will be connected to your WhatsApp Business Account, or create a new Meta Business account. If you're creating a new Meta Business Account:
Enter the legal name, phone number, website, and email address for your business, then click Continue.
- Use the Country and Timezone dropdown menu to select the country and timezone your business is located in.
- Select the WhatsApp Business Account that will be associated with your Meta Business Account, or create a new WhatsApp Business Account. If you're creating a new WhatsApp Business Account, enter a name for the account and select a timezone from the dropdown menu.
- Click Continue.
- A confirmation message will appear. Click Continue to Step 2.
- Next, you'll configure your WhatsApp Business Profile.
- In the text field, enter your business display name. If your WhatsApp Business Profile does not match your business's legal name, select My display name is different from my legal business name checkbox.
- Click Continue.
- Click the Category dropdown menu and select a category that best describes your business. You can also enter a description of your business in the text box.
Click Continue to Step 3.
- In the text field, enter a phone number to register with WhatsApp. Select Text Message or Voice Call as a verification method, then click Send Code.
- After you successfully verify the phone number, click Ok to close the set up window and return to HubSpot.
- You'll return to the conversations inbox where you can finish setting up the WhatsApp channel. Next to the WhatsApp account name, click Connect.
Respond to WhatsApp messages in the inbox
Incoming WhatsApp messages will create a new thread in the conversations inbox and start a WhatsApp session. You and your team can respond to WhatsApp messages in the conversations inbox for the duration of the session.
WhatsApp sessions will be open for 24 hours after the last response from the contact. Once the session has expired, users will need to communicate with the contact through another channel. You cannot send an outgoing message to a contact through the WhatsApp channel.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Conversations > Inbox.
- Click the search term to lookup a WhatsApp conversation, and apply filters to narrow your search. For example, you can apply filters that segment out messages that originated from your connected WhatsApp channel. Marketing Hub, Sales Hub, and Service Hub Professional and Enterprise users can create a custom view that only contains WhatsApp messages. search icon in the top left and enter a
- In the left panel, click a WhatsApp conversation to open it. A WhatsApp icon will appear in the top right corner of the message preview.
- To reassign the message, in the top left click the Owner dropdown menu and select a different user. Learn more about automatically assigning incoming conversations to specific users and teams.
- In the right panel, view contextual information about the visitor and associated records to help with your response.
- In the reply editor, write your response.
- Use the icons across the bottom of the email editor to modify your text style, insert a link, add an image, or upload a file. You can also drag and drop files from your computer into the reply editor.
- To add a document, snippet, meeting link, knowledge base article, quote, or video in your response, click Insert.
- During the conversation, you may need to switch to email or call the contact. Click the Channel dropdown menu above the reply editor and select a different channel.
- When you're ready to respond, click Send.
If an incoming message is sent from a phone number that matches the phone number stored in a contact's Phone number or Mobile phone number property, the conversation will automatically be associated with that contact.
Send a WhatsApp message in a workflow
You can send WhatsApp messages to contacts who opt in using the workflows tool. Contacts can confirm their opt-in status by sending you one of the following keywords: YES, START, or SUBSCRIBE. Once a contact opts in, you can set up a workflow that uses one of your WhatsApp message templates.
To configure a workflow that sends a WhatsApp message:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Automation > Workflows.
- In the top right, click Create workflow.
- Click the + plus icon.
- In the right panel, select Send WhatsApp Message.
- Click the Send from WhatsApp phone number dropdown menu and select a phone number.
- Click the Message template dropdown menu and select a template. WhatsApp Message templates must be created and managed in your WhatsApp business account. Learn more about message templates in the WhatsApp Business Platform documentation.
- Click the Template language dropdown menu and select a language.
- Click Save.