Not all bounces are permanent. Depending on the nature of the bounce, you can try resending to a bounced email address in the next email send.
Do I need to do anything with bounced contacts?
HubSpot automatically does not send to contacts that have bounced previously for a permanent reason (e.g. invalid recipient, recipient not found, etc.) in the next send to protect your sender reputation. These contacts will appear in the Not Sent tab in the post-send screen of your email. There is no need to filter or delete these contacts to prevent sending to them. However, you may decide that these contacts are stale and/or bad addresses that are no longer relevant to keep in your database for future email sends.
How can I audit my bounced addresses?
To see which contacts bounced on one of your emails and to audit the bounce reasons:
- Navigate to Content > Email.
- Click Sent in the left sidebar menu, then click on the email in question.
- Once in the individual email's post-send screen, click the Recipients tab, then click Bounced in the left sidebar.
- Click the expand icon for a particular contact to view the bounce reason or click List actions > Export recipients list to view the bounce reasons in bulk.
Yes, you can remove hard bounces if you know that an email is valid by following the steps below.
Please note: you should only unbounce a contact if you've confirmed that the contact's email address is valid. Sending to invalid email addresses will have a negative impact on your sender reputation and can prevent you from successfully delivering email to your engaged contacts.
- Make sure you have an email sending domain connected to HubSpot. Learn how to connect an email sending domain here.
- Confirm that the contact's email address is valid. Have you recently been able to reach this contact at this email address outside of HubSpot?
- If you are aware of a whitelisting, network, or content issue that is indicated in the bounce reason, please verify that the issue has been resolved. You can find steps that you and/or your contacts can take to ensure deliverability of your marketing emails here. Other bounce types such as unknown addresses and/or mailbox full indicate an abandoned email account and generally cannot be recovered/unbounced.
- Once you've verified that the contact's email address is valid and you've taken steps to prevent future bounces, navigate to the contact's record (Contacts > Contacts).
- Click Unbounce below the contact's name and profile picture.
- Review the information about the contact's bounce. To confirm that you'd like to unbounce the contact, check the I can confirm that this email address is correct box, then click Unbounce this contact.
Please note that HubSpot will refuse requests to audit and/or remove bounces from third party lists as purchased lists are prohibited in our acceptable use policy. See what lists are accepted in HubSpot here. HubSpot does not provide list cleaning services as we are a permission-based sender and it is not considered best practice. Instead we recommend removing inactive subscribers or trying a re-engagement campaign. There are many third-party service scanner options if you decide to clean one of your lists.