Email sending is suspended when HubSpot's automated abuse prevention system, Deliverability Protection, sends a small portion of the email out to test and determines that the hard bounce rate will exceed industry limits. If a customer generates high bounce or spam complaint rates on an email, it can impact their ability to reach their subscribers next time around.
What is a suspension?
If the system sees too many hard bounces, spam complaints, a blacklisting, or direct complaints to HubSpot's abuse desk, it may temporarily halt more email from being sent. A suspension does not mean that you are a spammer. Suspensions are not punishments or meant to hinder your marketing efforts, but help you remain successful in your email marketing.
Are my workflows halted during a suspension?
Yes. During a suspension, any workflows, lead nurturing or other HubSpot-generated emails will not be sent.
What are the email limits?
- Hard bounces: HubSpot's hard bounce limit is 5%. For reference, many ISPs prefer bounce rates under 2%.
- Spam reports: HubSpot's spam complaint rate limit is 0.1% (1 in 1,000 messages sent). Spam reports are when the recipient actively clicks the "spam" button when viewing the email.
- Direct complaints: if a direct complaint is sent to HubSpot's abuse desk about your emails, email sending may be suspended.
- Unsubscribes: you will not be warned or suspended for a high unsubscribe rate.
What should I do if my email sending is suspended?
The HubSpot deliverability team will always reach out within 24 hours of a suspension, even on weekends and holidays, and generally sooner than that. If you need immediate assistance, respond to the email suspension notification and include your Hub ID, and you will be contacted as soon as possible.
In the meantime, review the performance of your recent emails. If you have an idea of what may have happened, it will significantly expedite the process of restoring your email sending.
In order to restore email sending, the deliverability team will need to know that your list has been cleaned of contacts that:
- Have not been contacted by your organization by email in more than a year. List decay occurs at a rate of 25% every year.
- Unsubscribed from your email previously (outside of HubSpot).
- Hard bounced previously (outside of HubSpot).
- Have not opted into email from your organization specifically. This includes contacts provided by a third party.
- Are purchased or rented from a third party. This is a violation of HubSpot's Acceptable Use Policy and these contacts cannot be emailed using HubSpot.