In HubSpot, there are four standard objects: contacts, companies, deals, and tickets.
When your business requires a different object, you should define a custom object, including creating its properties and customizing the associations between the custom objects and HubSpot's standard objects. Once a custom object is defined, you and your users can manage and use the object in HubSpot.
Currently, the only way to define a custom object is via API. Only HubSpot accounts that are enrolled in the private beta can define custom objects via API and have access to the API documentation.
View and create custom object records
Once you've defined your custom object, you can create new custom object records, view your custom object records in a table and filter the records based on their property values.
To access this on your desktop:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to your contacts, companies, deals, or tickets home.
- Click the name of the home and in the dropdown menu, select your custom object.
- To create new custom object records, click Create [custom object] in the upper right. In the right panel, enter its property values and click Create.
- To filter your custom object records:
- Click Advanced.
- In the right panel, select the property you want to use to filter your records. Specify your criteria.
- Once done, click Apply filter.
On mobile, you can view custom object records that are associated to existing standard objects:
- On your device, tap the HubSpot mobile app.
- In the bottom navigation menu, tap Contacts to access your contacts or companies, or Deals to access your deals.
- Tap the contact, company or deal that you want to view.
- To view the custom object associated to the record, tap the Beta tab.
- Tap the custom object to view its property values. These values are read only.
Create properties for your custom object
Once you've defined your custom object, you can create and edit properties for your custom object in HubSpot. Because custom objects are still in beta, not all property field types are available.
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, click Properties.
- Click the Contact properties dropdown menu and select [Custom object name] properties.
- Here, you can manage your custom object properties, including clicking Create property in the upper right to create a new property and hovering over existing properties and clicking Edit to update them.
Enroll custom object records in workflows
You can create a workflow for your custom object records and enroll them to automate certain actions. Because custom objects are still in beta, some workflow actions and enrollment triggers may not be available.
To create a custom object workflow:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Automation > Workflows.
- In the upper right, click Create workflow.
- In the left panel, select the Start from scratch tab. Then, select [Custom object name]-based.
- In the top right, click Next. Your custom object workflow will be created. Good articles to understand how to use workflows include:
Report on your custom objects
You can report on your custom object records based on their properties. Because custom objects are still in beta, some reporting functions and criteria may not be available.
Currently, only custom single object reports are available for custom objects. To create such a report:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Reports > Reports.
- In the upper right, click Create custom report.
- In the left panel, select Single object.
- Select your custom object, then in the top right, click Next.
- Continue with customizing and saving your report.