The HubSpot Sales Chrome extension vs. a connected inbox
While the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension can function alone, it also works simultaneously with a connected inbox so you can get the most out of the HubSpot sales tools right from your inbox, in addition to other features. Read more about how connecting an inbox gives you more sales tool options and software functionality here.
It's important to note, however, that the Chrome extension is separate from a connected inbox, and each feature serves different purposes:
- HubSpot Sales Chrome extension: The extension is installed in your Chrome browser and sits in the upper right-hand corner of your browser, where you can click it and easily scroll through your email activity. You can also send tracked and logged emails from Gmail using the extension and use contact profiles in Gmail. Templates and documents can be inserted into Gmail emails using the extension alone (without a connected inbox).
- Connected inbox: Whne you connect your Gmail inbox to HubSpot, you're connecting your email host (Google Apps/GSuite) with HubSpot. With a connected inbox, you can send emails from HubSpot to contacts using your own servers, log incoming email replies, send email replies from contact timelines in HubSpot, schedule emails, use sales tools, and more. Learn about which features require a connected inbox here.
Functionalities of the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension
- Track emails: When sending an email from your Gmail account, you can track that email. When you track an email, you will receive real-time pop-up notifications each time your recipient opens the email. The open information will also be stored in your HubSpot account's activity feed under Sales Tools > Activity Feed and in your Chrome extension that sits in the upper right-hand corner of your Chrome browser.
- Log emails: When sending an email from your Gmail account, you can log that email. When you log an email, a copy of that email is recorded on the recipient's contact timeline in HubSpot. With a connected inbox, you can also log replies and reply to emails from the contact timeline in HubSpot.
- Use contact profiles: search your HubSpot database, edit contact properties, and initiate calls with your contacts using contact profiles in Gmail, a sidebar menu that stores information from your HubSpot account. You'll learn more about contact profiles in a later section of this guide.
- Use the HubSpot sales tools in Gmail: send templates and documents, insert snippets, enroll contacts in sequences, and insert meetings links right from Gmail. Please note that some of these tools require a connected inbox in addition to the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension in order to access them in Gmail. Learn more here.
- Send later: with the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension and a connected inbox, you can schedule your email to send at a specific time. Click here for more information about the send later feature.
Email provider and browser requirements
All versions of Gmail are supported, but the HubSpot Sales extension must be installed in Chrome. Please note that the HubSpot Sales extension will be disabled if Gmail is loaded in Basic HTML Mode.
Before installing the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension, review the matrix below to make sure the Chrome extension is right for you. If not, you can click on one of the other Sales extension options (Office 365 add-in or Outlook desktop extension) for installation instructions.
|Chrome extension||Office 365 add-in||Outlook desktop extension|
|Email host||Gmail or G Suite||Office 365||Any|
|Preferred email client||Gmail/G Suite in Chrome||
Outlook 2016 or 2013
Outlook on the web
Outlook for Mac
|Operating system||Mac, PC||Mac, PC||PC only|
|Requires connected inbox||No*||Yes||No*|
*Some sales tools cannot be used unless you have a connected inbox. Learn more here.
Install from the Chrome Web Store
The HubSpot Sales Chrome extension can be installed directly from the Chrome Web Store here.
In the dialog box that appears, click + Add to Chrome. If this is the first time you're downloading the extension, you'll be prompted to log in.
Install during the inbox connection flow
When connecting your inbox following these instructions, you'll walk through three steps to connect:
- Detect Email System
- Connect Inbox
- Install HubSpot Sales
On the third step, you'll be prompted to install the Chrome extension if you haven't done so already from the Chrome Web Store. Click Install Chrome Extension and then click Add extension in the dialog box that appears.
The below example shows what you'll see once the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension is installed:
- HubSpot sprocket: this is where you manage your extension settings.
- Contact profile sidebar menu: use this menu to search your HubSpot contact database, initiate calls, and edit contact profiles.
- Sales tools: use these HubSpot sales tools in your Gmail emails. Please note that some of these tools require a connected inbox and others have usage limits based on your HubSpot subscription.
- Log and track checkboxes: use these checkboxes if you would like to log and/or track your emails.
- Send later (connected inbox required): use this option to schedule your emails for a later time.
Now that you have the Chrome extension installed and understand its basic functionality, you'll learn about sending tracked and logged emails in the next section of this guide.