This article discusses how you can use a workflow or import to change the lifecycle stage of a list of your contacts forward, down the funnel -- from Lead to Marketing Qualified Lead. If you are hoping to move the lifecycle stage of your list of contacts backwards, up the funnel -- from Customer to Lead -- please read this article.
Changing the lifecycle stage for a list of contacts with a workflow:
- From your HubSpot Marketing account, navigate to Contacts > Workflows.
- Click New Workflow > name your workflow > select Standard as the workflow type > click Create workflow.
- Decide on and set enrollment criteria. If this is just a one time process to move the lifecycle stage for a list of contacts, select Manually so that contacts are only enrolled when you decide to add them.
- Click the plus icon to add an action under the enrollment criteria.
- Choose Set contact property value > select Lifecycle stage > choose the lifecycle stage value you wish to assign to your list (remember, this will only work for moving the lifecycle stage forward, down the funnel) > click Save > turn on your workflow at the top right.
Now that the workflow is set up, you'll need to enroll that list of contacts in your workflow. To do this, follow the next set of instructions below:
- From your HubSpot Marketing account, navigate to Contacts > Lists.
- Click the name of the list you want to add to the workflow to get to the list detail page
- Check the box at the top left of the list detail table to select all the contacts in the list (more on that checkbox feature, here) > click Enroll in workflow > select the workflow > click Enroll and the contacts in your list will be enrolled in your workflow.
Import a list of contacts to change their lifecycle stage
- Create a .csv file including the email addresses of the contacts you want to change the lifecycle stage for.
- From your HubSpot Markeitng account, navigate to Contacts > Lists > click Import.
- Click Start a new import > choose A CSV file > choose Contacts as your type of import > select a file to import > click Upload.
- From here, choose your lifecycle stage from the dropdown menu under Lifecycle stage for contacts in this import.
- Continue through and complete your import, and all the contacts on your list will have their lifecycle stage changed to your selection as long as that change in lifecycle stage is moving forward.