Please note: this article covers moving the lifecycle stage of a list of contacts forward, down the funnel (e.g. Lead to Marketing Qualified Lead). Learn more about moving the lifecycle stage of a list of contacts backwards, up the funnel (e.g. Customer to Lead).
Change the lifecycle stage of a list of contacts with a workflow (Marketing Hub Professional and Enterprise only)
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Automation > Workflows.
- Click Create workflow at the upper right of the dashboard.
- Select Start from scratch, then click Create workflow at the upper right.
- Decide on and set enrollment triggers. If this is a one-time process to change the lifecycle stage for a list of contacts, select Manually so that contacts are only enrolled when you decide to add them.
- Click the plus (+) icon to add a workflow action.
- In the pane that slides in on the right, click Set contact property value, then select Lifecycle stage as the Contact property and choose the lifecycle stage value you wish to assign as the New property value to your list (this will only work for moving the lifecycle stage forward, down the funnel).
- Click Save at the bottom.
- Click Review at the upper right, then click Activate to turn the workflow on.
Now that your workflow is set up, you'll need to enroll the list of contacts in the workflow:
- In your HubSpot Marketing Hub Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to Contacts > Lists.
- Click the name of the list you want to add to the workflow.
- Check the box at the top left of the list table to select all the contacts in the list.
- Click More and select Enroll in workflow.
- In the dialog box that appears, select the workflow to enroll the contacts in from the dropdown menu and click Enroll.
Change the lifecycle stage of a list of contacts with an import
- Create a .csv file with the email addresses of the contacts you want to change the lifecycle stage for. Include a column for the lifecycle stage contact property and enter the new value you want for your contacts.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- Click Import.
- Click Start an import, then select File from computer .
- Select Contacts as your import type, then click Next.
- Select a file to import, then click Next.
- The Lifecycle Stage column should automatically match with the lifecycle stage property in HubSpot.
- Click Next.
- Enter a name for your import, select the checkbox to confirm each statement, then enter your initials.
- Click Finish import.
Once the contacts have been imported, they will have their lifecycle stage changed to your selected lifecycle stage as long as that change is moving forward, down the funnel.