Go to the campaigns dashboard
In your HubSpot Marketing Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to Productivity > Campaigns.
Here you'll see the campaigns dashboard for your account. Even if you've never used the tool before, you'll see some related content already formed into campaigns on your dashboard. You can filter your campaigns by date, author, and persona.
Create a new campaign
Click Create a new campaign at the upper right or choose one of the campaign recipes.
Name your campaign
Type in a name for your new campaign into the Campaign name field. You should choose a unique name for the campaign that other HubSpot users on your account will easily understand. You will not be able to change the campaign name later on.
You will now be brought to the campaigns overview screen. This view:
- Presents a visual checklist of the content you need in order to launch an inbound campaign.
- Guides you through all the tools and assets you need for creating an inbound campaign.
- Allows you to schedule emails, blogs, and landing pages from the same spot.
Set goals and timelines
At the top of your new campaign, there's a tab to Show more info. If you click on this tab, you'll be presented with fields to set your description, start date, end date, budget, and assign personas.
Customers who have the most success with HubSpot tend to identify their marketing goals using the SMART goal framework.
SMART stands for:
- Specific - Your goal should be unambiguous and communicate what is expected, why it is important, who is involved, where it is going to happen, and which constraints are in place.
- Measurable - Your goal should have concrete criteria for measuring progress and reaching the goal.
- Attainable - Your goal should be realistic and possible for your team to reach.
- Relevant - Your goal should matter to your business and address a core initiative.
- Timely - You should have an expected date that you will reach the goal.
Some example SMART goals might be:
- Get 12,000 new visits by January 1, 2014 through the content related to your new campaign.
- Get 1,000 new leads by June 1, 2014 through the content related to your new campaign.
- Get 250 new customers by March 1, 2014 through the content related to your new campaign.
How to determine a visits, lead, or customer goal
Examine your current situation.
- What have you been focusing on in the past? Is it visits, leads, or customers?
- What are you currently spending the most of your time on? Is it visits, leads, or customers?
- How much time do you have per week? A few days or a few hours?
- Who else is helping you? Are you the only one using HubSpot or do you have colleagues?
You should set goals based on your business's performance in the past, projections of your team, and, if applicable, on data about other businesses in the same industry. Make sure that your goals are consistently relative to your business.
Click Edit goals in the top-right corner to set goals for your campaign. Once you input your goal numbers into those text fields, click Update.
The Convert Contacts section is where you'll select keywords that will be used in your campaign and create a landing page and thank you page, which will allow your prospects to get your offer and convert into a lead.
Add keywords to your campaign
Click on Create new under the Keywords section to add new keywords to your campaign.
Add the keywords that you want associated with this campaign. Choose keywords that will be used throughout the different campaign assets. You can select keywords that you've added to the keywords tool or create a new keyword.
Create landing page and thank you page
For content items, you'll also want to click on the Create new link under the respective content type to create a new asset and associate it with your campaign. You can always choose to go back to the campaign overview screen at any time or choose a new asset to work on from the dropdown menu on the right of the next asset button.
HubSpot will also copy information from landing page to thank you page and will carry the name of the campaign into these assets.
Promote your campaign
Your landing page and thank you page will be the platform for your offer, but you will still need to promote your campaign to attract prospects to your offer.
The Promote Campaign section is where you'll create emails, CTAs, blog posts, and social media messages to drive traffic to your campaign.
Just like with the landing and thank you pages, by clicking on the Create new links, you'll be taken to the corresponding tool in HubSpot, and will be guided through the creation process.
If you are using a simple landing page and email template, the copy from the landing page will get copied over to the corresponding email in the campaign. Also, when you create a CTA and blog post, your CTA will be automatically added to the post.
Nurture your campaign
This section will show you your associated workflows with this campaign and, of course, will allow you to create a new workflow for your campaign.
Creating a campaign from a content tool
In the Settings tab of the editor for any of the content tools, you'll see an Add new button next to the Campaign dropdown menu. Click on this to create a new campaign.
Creating a campaign from the keywords tool
Navigate to Reports > Keywords. From the keywords side menu, click on Manage campaigns. This will bring you to the campaigns dashboard where you can follow the instructions above to create a new campaign.
You can view and compare even more data from your campaigns in the campaigns analytics tool now available in beta for all Marketing Basic, Professional, and Enterprise customers. Find out more about the campaign analytics tool here.