Navigate to campaigns
In your HubSpot Marketing Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to Productivity > Campaigns.
Here, you'll see the campaigns dashboard for your account. Even if you've never used the tool before, you'll see some related content already formed into campaigns on your dashboard. You can filter your campaigns by date, author, and persona.
Create a new campaign
Click Create a new campaign at the upper right.
Name your campaign
Type in a name for your new campaign into the Campaign name field. You should choose a unique name for the campaign that other HubSpot users on your account will easily understand. You will not be able to change the campaign name later on.
You'll be brought to the campaign overview. This view:
- Presents a visual checklist of the content you need in order to launch an inbound campaign.
- Guides you through all the tools and assets you need for creating an inbound campaign.
- Allows you to associate existing emails, blog posts, landing pages, and more to the campaign.
Set goals and timelines
At the top of your new campaign, there's a tab to Show more info. If you click this tab, you'll be presented with fields to set your description, start date, end date, budget, and assign personas.
Customers who have the most success with HubSpot tend to identify their marketing goals using the SMART goal framework.
SMART stands for:
- Specific - Your goal should be unambiguous and communicate what is expected, why it is important, who is involved, where it is going to happen, and which constraints are in place.
- Measurable - Your goal should have concrete criteria for measuring progress and reaching the goal.
- Attainable - Your goal should be realistic and possible for your team to reach.
- Relevant - Your goal should matter to your business and address a core initiative.
- Timely - You should have an expected date that you will reach the goal.
Some example SMART goals might be:
- Get 12,000 new visits by January 1, 2014 through the content related to your new campaign.
- Get 1,000 new leads by June 1, 2014 through the content related to your new campaign.
- Get 250 new customers by March 1, 2014 through the content related to your new campaign.
How to determine a visits, lead, or customer goal
Examine your current situation.
- What have you been focusing on in the past? Is it visits, leads, or customers?
- What are you currently spending the most of your time on? Is it visits, leads, or customers?
- How much time do you have per week? A few days or a few hours?
- Who else is helping you? Are you the only one using HubSpot or do you have colleagues?
You should set goals based on your business's performance in the past, projections of your team, and, if applicable, on data about other businesses in the same industry. Make sure that your goals are consistently relative to your business.
Click Edit goals in the top-right corner to set goals for your campaign. In the dialog box that appears, enter your goals for Visits, Contacts, and Customers, then click Update.
The Convert Contacts section is where you'll select keywords that will be used in your campaign and associate a landing page and thank you page to your campaign, which will allow your prospects to get your offer and convert into a lead.
Add keywords to your campaign
Click Create new under the Keywords section to add new keywords to your campaign.
Add the keywords that you want associated with this campaign. Choose keywords that will be used throughout the different campaign assets. You can select keywords that you've added to the keywords tool or create a new keyword.
Promote your campaign
Your landing page and thank you page will be the platform for your offer, but you'll still need to promote your campaign to attract prospects to your offer.
The Promote Campaign section is where you'll associate emails, CTAs, blog posts, and social media messages that drive traffic to your campaign.
Nurture your campaign
This section will show you your associated workflows with this campaign and allow you to associate an existing workflow with your campaign.
Creating a campaign from a content tool
In the editor for any of the content tools (blog, email, landing pages or website pages), click the Settings tab at the top. Locate and click the Campaign dropdown and click Create a new campaign.
Creating a campaign from the keywords tool
Navigate to Reports > Analytics Tools. Under More analytics tools, click Keywords.
In the left sidebar meni, click Manage campaigns. This will bring you to the campaigns dashboard where you can follow the instructions above to create a new campaign.
You can view and compare even more data from your campaigns in the campaigns analytics tool now available in beta for all Marketing Basic, Professional, and Enterprise customers. Find out more about the campaign analytics tool here.