Sales Starter and Professional users have the option to add an unsubscribe link to emails in sales sequences. This link allows your recipients to opt out of receiving email from you via a sales sequence email.
This article covers the following:
- Benefits of adding an unsubscribe link to your sequence emails
- How to add an unsubscribe link to your sequence emails
Adding an unsubscribe link to your sequences allows you to not only move toward compliance with spam laws, but also a more efficient inbound sales process by reaching your most promising leads and delivering relevant content to those who wish to engage.
With an unsubscribe link in your sequence emails, you can:
- Work towards compliance with certain countries’ spam laws, like CAN-SPAM in the United States, CASL in Canada, and GDPR in Europe. Countries across the globe have developed laws requiring that all commercial emails, whether one-to-one or one-to-many, include an unsubscribe link that lets your recipient choose to not receive emails from you. This means unsubscribe links are both a step towards legal compliance and an effective way to ensure that you're only reaching out to engaged leads that move you closer to closing deals.
- Get higher email deliverability. By allowing your recipients to opt out of your emails instead of marking them as SPAM, your domain’s reputation will improve, ensuring that your emails get delivered as your business grows and you send more email.
- Keep track of unsubscribes. You never want to email someone who already asked to be taken off your mailing list. When a recipient unsubscribes through HubSpot, their contact record is automatically updated to reflect that they’ve opted out. This gives your whole organization visibility into who they can and can’t email.
First, enable the unsubscribe link in your sequences settings, which will apply to all sequence enrollments across all users in your HubSpot account:
- In your HubSpot account, click your photo or avatar in the upper right-hand corner and select Settings.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Sales > Sequences.
- Switch the Include a link to unsubscribe from sequences emails toggle ON.
- Another section will appear, where you can choose text for your unsubscribe link. Click the radio button beside your choice. Your settings will be saved automatically.
Once the setting is enabled, unsubscribe links will be appended to the bottom of each sequence email for every sequence enrollment. When personalizing your sequence emails before enrolling the contact, you can click the unsubscribe link to edit it. You'll have the following options:
- Set a language: choose a language from the dropdown menu. The unsubscribe link text options are supported in many languages and may be changed to reflect the language preference of your recipient. For example, if your HubSpot account language is set to English but you're enrolling a Spanish-speaking contact in your sequence, you can change the link text option to Spanish for a given sequence, without impacting the default setting of the your account. Click Apply once you've selected a language.
- Choose a different unsubscribe link text: select the radio button beside the text you wish to use for your unsubscribe link. While you can change the link text for a specific sequence enrollment, new enrollments will always inherit the account-setting specified in your sequence settings. Click Apply once you've chosen the text.
- Remove link: click Remove link if you choose to not include an unsubscribe link in the sequence emails to your recipient. This is typically done if you consider the nature of the sequence emails as transactional, or non-commercial.