You can set up cross-domain tracking to ensure that the same tracking cookie is used across your tracked domains. Cross-domain tracking allows HubSpot to merge the visitor profiles of one person as they travel across your multiple domains into a single contact profile.
This merging can take place when one of two things happens:
- A visitor submits more than one form with the same email address across multiple domains on which you have your HubSpot tracking code installed.
- A visitor clicks a link that takes them between two different domains, each of which have your HubSpot tracking code installed on them. HubSpot attaches parameters to your links from one domain to another (__hsfp, __hssc, and __hstc) to track visitors as they travel between domains. You must have automatic cross-domain link tracking enabled in your account settings for this to work.
Please note: this is only necessary to track traffic between distinct domains (e.g., thisdomain.com and anotherdomain.com). This requirement is a result of a privacy limitation of cookies, where cookies are set at the domain level and cannot be carried from one domain to the next. Traffic between subdomains (e.g., www.hubspot.com to blog.hubspot.com) is automatically tracked using cookies.
If you have multiple HubSpot accounts and would like to track individual subdomains in separate accounts, please contact HubSpot Support to help update your cookie settings.
Install the HubSpot tracking code on all pages of all domains that you want to track.
In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Reports > Tracking Code.
- Click the Advanced Tracking tab.
- Click + Add domain at the bottom of the Additional site domains table to add new domain(s) to be included as part of your site for cross-domain traffic.
Please note: future traffic between domains added in your advanced tracking settings will be considered part of your website and will not appear in your sources report as a referral.
- In the dialog box, enter a domain, then click Add.
Click to toggle the Automatic cross-domain linking switch ON.
- Click Save.