You can add an unsubscribe link to your one-to-one emails sent from the contact record, including any emails sent out through your sequences. This link allows recipients to opt out of receiving such emails from you.
Adding unsubscribe links to your one-to-one emails can help you move toward compliance with spam laws (e.g., CAN-SPAM, GDPR, CASL) and improve email deliverability by allowing unengaged recipients a way to opt-out.
Add an unsubscribe link to your one-to-one sales and sequence emails
When you enable the global GDPR functionality setting in your HubSpot account, the unsubscribe links will be included by default for all users. However, this can be overwritten on an individual user basis. This means a user can remove the unsubscribe link for their one-to-one sales emails.
If you don't want to enable the global GDPR functionality setting, but want to add the unsubscribe link to your one-to-one and sequence emails sent from your own HubSpot user account:
- Log in to your HubSpot account.
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings settings icon in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to General.
- Click the Email tab.
- Select the Include unsubscribe link checkbox.
- To choose which phrase you want appear for your unsubscribe link, click Edit link text, then in the dialog box, select the radio button next to the link text that you want.
- Click Save.
Going forward, the unsubscribe link will be included at the bottom of all sales and sequence emails. If your contact clicks the unsubscribe link, they can unsubscribe from personal emails (i.e., the One to One subscription type), service emails, or blog post updates by clicking the toggle next to the subscription type.
Please note: an unsubscribe link will not be added to emails sent from Gmail or Outlook, even if you have the HubSpot sales extension installed.
Edit your unsubscribe link for specific emails
When sending a one-to-one email or personalizing your sequence emails during enrollment, you can edit the unsubscribe link for that specific instance.
These changes will only apply to the specific email. Any new emails you draft in HubSpot will still follow the default settings you set in your Profile and Preferences.
- Click the unsubscribe link to edit it:
- Set a language: select a language from the dropdown menu. You can change the language to match what your recipient prefers.
- Choose a different unsubscribe link text: select the radio button next to the text for your unsubscribe link. However, any new enrollments will continue to be the default phrase you selected in your Profile and Preferences.
- Remove link: click to remove the unsubscribe link in the sequence emails to your recipient. This is typically done if you consider the nature of the sequence emails as transactional, or non-commercial.