Add and remove users
Last updated: March 18, 2021
|All products and plans|
If you have Add and Edit users permissions in your HubSpot account, you can create new users, customize user permissions, and remove users from your account.
To watch an overview of this process, check out the video below:
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Users & Teams.
- In the upper right, click Create user.
- You can add your user(s) in a few different ways:
- Enter the email addresses into the Add email address(es) field. If you are adding multiple users at the same time, separate email addresses with a space. Then click Next.
- Import users from a CSV file. In Excel, add an Email column with the email addresses of your users, and save the file in a CSV format. Click A CSV file, then drag and drop your .csv file, or click choose file to browse files on your computer. Then click Next.
Please note: only 100 users can be added in a single CSV import. If you are importing more than 100 users, you will need to do multiple imports.
- If you have the Salesforce integration enabled, you can import users from Salesforce. Click Salesforce records. By default, all of your Salesforce users will be selected for import. Deselect the boxes next to any users you do not want to import, then click Next.
- Set up the permissions for your new users. If you've added multiple users, the permissions will be set for all selected users.
- Review the full breakdown of HubSpot's permissions settings and navigate through each of the tabs to customize the access for your new users.
- If you've created roles, you can select a role for the users you've added to grant them the role's permission set. Click the Role dropdown menu and select the role you want the new user to have.
- If you've added a single user and want to give them Super Admin access, click the Actions dropdown menu and select Make Super Admin. If you've added multiple users, you can do this after adding them by clicking the name of a user, then clicking the Actions dropdown menu.
- If you've added a single user and want to add the user to a team, click the No team assigned dropdown menu below the user's email address and select the team. If no teams have been created, or if multiple users are added, learn how to create teams and add existing users to them.
- When you've finished setting up your users, click Next.
- By default, HubSpot sends a welcome email to new users with a link to set their password. If the user has already set up a HubSpot password for another account, you can skip sending the welcome email by selecting the Don't send a welcome email when this user is created checkbox.
- Click Send or Add to give the users access to your account.
The new user will then be sent the welcome email where they can set their password and log in. If the new user doesn't receive a welcome email within five minutes, ask them to check their Junk/SPAM folder. If the email doesn't appear there, the user should follow the steps to ensure HubSpot emails are delivered. You can then give them account access by sending a reset password email. The new user can also do this directly from the login screen.
Once a user has been added to an account, they’re eligible to receive notifications, such as lead assignment notifications. The user can manage their notifications by logging in. After the user logs in, they can also set up their profile.
Please note: to remove a Sales Hub Starter, Professional, or Service Hub Professional user from your HubSpot account, you must first remove their user's access to paid sales and service tools.
Before removing a user, keep in mind that their created content and owned records may be affected:
When a user is removed from an account, HubSpot will not delete any assets or activities that they created. This includes assets such as blog posts, pages, lists, workflows, forms, and reports, as well as sales activities such as logged emails and notes. Assets will show Deactivated User (removed user's email address) as the creator.
Any social messages published by the removed user will remain published. However, if the removed user was the administrator for any social media accounts, you may need to reconnect those accounts.
Any sequences, templates, and documents created in your account will remain; however, the removed user must have shared their sales templates prior to removal for other users to access them.
- If you remove a user from your account, Deactivated User (removed user's email address) will appear in the ownership property for any contacts, companies, deals, and tickets owned by that user. If your HubSpot account is synced with Salesforce and the removed user is still a Salesforce user, the user's name will appear as Name (Salesforce), as it does for SFDC users who never had HubSpot access.
- After a user is removed from your account, they will no longer appear as an option in filters, such as in lists or dashboards. You can display removed users in your filters by selecting the Show inactive owners checkbox when filtering.
Before removing a user, you should reassign any records owned by the user. Learn more about setting ownership of records in HubSpot.
To remove a user from your account:
HubSpot user permissions guide
HubSpot users with Add & edit users permissions can customize permissions for new and existing users in your...Knowledge Base
Manage Sales Hub and Service Hub paid seats
If you have both Add and edit users and Modify billing permissions in a Sales Hub or Service Hub account, you...Knowledge Base
Export your content and data
Learn how to export HubSpot content and data from your account, such as pages, contacts, and files. Please...Knowledge Base