If you have configured your HubSpot Marketing Free or Starter account to push Contacts collected from Lead Flows and/or Collected Forms into your MailChimp lists and your contacts are not making it into MailChimp successfully, below are some errors you might be seeing and what they mean.
If your new contacts are not pushing to MailChimp, you can find out what the most recent error was by navigating to Settings > Email Sync where you wil see the most recent error listed.
From within Marketing Free or Starter Settings you will see:
- The most recent error, as reported by MailChimp.
- A button to dismiss this error once it has been resolved.
Some common errors:
- FNAME must be provided - Please enter a value
- LNAME must be provided - Please enter a value
- MMERGE2 must be provided - Please enter a value
- MMERGE(x) must be provided - Please enter a value
These errors are occurring because the MailChimp list has required Merge Tags which HubSpot does not send over a value for.
HubSpot will always push email address to MailChimp, since the email address for a contact is always known. If your forms include a first and last name field, HubSpot should capture this information too and send it to MailChimp.
To fix this error, log into MailChimp and find the list that HubSpot is pushing to and follow the instructions below:
- Go to Settings > List fields and *|MERGE|* tags and you will see a column titled "Put this tag in your content:" that will correspond with the error reported in HubSpot.
- Uncheck the corresponding "Required?" box so that HubSpot can successfully push to this list.
- Click Save Changes.