Sometimes, when you send an email in HubSpot, you might see that the email was not sent on the contact timeline.
This is different from an email bounce, which means that your email was rejected for some reason by your recipient’s mail server. An email labeled as Not sent means HubSpot decided not to send the email to that recipient due to a variety of reasons that could negatively impact your email deliverability reputation.
Please note: if you receive a bounce on a one-to-one sales emails sent from the HubSpot CRM, the bounce messaging will look less detailed than a marketing email bounce. Because HubSpot sales emails are sent through the user’s connected inbox, HubSpot gets less information about bounces that occur for these sends. Therefore, you will simply see bounced displayed on the timeline. You can find the specific bounceback email in your inbox by searching for the original sent email - the bounceback is usually in reply to that send.
HubSpot uses Not sent emails to preserve your sending reputation. The system will only block emails from sending if there's a high probability that the email will not be delivered or if it would be illegal to send an email to that particular contact.
You may see Not sent emails for both sales and marketing emails, or for just marketing emails. Below are messages you'll see on contact timelines for Not sent emails depending on the reason the email was blocked from sending:
'Not sent' emails for Marketing Hub users and CRM users:
Marketing Basic, Professional, and Enterprise users and CRM users may see the following error messages for emails that weren't sent:
- This recipient looks invalid - previous sends to this address have bounced: this message appears when an email to the recipient has previously bounced.
- A previous email to the recipient was flagged as spam: this message appears when an email to the recipient has previously been marked as spam.
- The recipient previously unsubscribed from this subscription type [specific email type]: this message appears when the recipient has opted out of that email type.
- The recipient previously unsubscribed from all subscription types: this message appears when the recipient has previously unsubscribed from all your email subscription types.
- This email looks invalid: this message appears when the email address fails HubSpot's validation attempts due to a syntax error.
- Hmm. This 'from' address looks invalid: this message appears when the email address fails our validation attempts due to a syntax error.
- This company has opted out of all email types: this message appears when the company has explicitly requested to not receive emails from any HubSpot accounts.
- The recipient requested to not receive any emails via HubSpot: this message appears when an individual recipient has explicitly requested to not receive emails from any HubSpot accounts.
- This recipient looks invalid: this message appears when the recipient is globally bounced.
'Not sent' emails for Marketing Hub users only
Marketing Basic, Professional, and Enterprise users may see the following error messages for emails that weren't sent:
- The recipient has not yet confirmed their subscription: this message appears when the email cannot be sent because the user hasn’t confirmed double opt-in.
- This email send was cancelled: this message appears when the user cancels the email send.
- This email wasn’t able to be delivered: this message appears when HubSpot's Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs) fail to deliver the email for any number of reasons.
- Your account has gone over its monthly limit for email sends: this message appears when you've exceeded your email provider's cap on monthly emails.
- Your account was suspended for non-compliance or deliverability issues: this message appears if you've previously violated email policies.