With the lead flows tool, you can easily create engaging lead capture forms to attract new leads. Lead flows are available for any website page, landing page, or blog post hosted on HubSpot. If you want to add lead flows to a non-HubSpot page, you need to install the HubSpot tracking code on your external site.
Create a new lead flow
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Lead Capture > Lead Flows.
- Click Create lead flow at the upper right.
In the Type tab, you can select what type of lead flow you'd like to create:
- Pop-up box: this is the most attention-grabbing option. It's ideal for promoting social channels, growing your email list, and providing the most valuable content you have.
Dropdown banner: select this option to promote a timely offer (e.g., a sale or a webinar) or to grow your blog subscribers.
Slide-in box left or Slide-in box right: these options are great for promoting your content or growing your blog subscribers.
Once you've selected the lead flow type, you can click the pencil icon beside the title at the top of the screen to customize the name of your lead flow. Then, click Next.
In the Callout tab, you can add a callout (or call-to-action) to grab your visitor's attention with a brief description of what you're offering. Here, you can customize the following:
- Featured image: this is an optional field that allows you to select a featured image to display on both the callout and form step.
- Callout text: this will serve as the main header when the lead flow appears on your webpage.
- Callout button text: this is the text that will appear on the signup button on your lead flow.
- Theme color: set the theme color, which will be included throughout the lead flow. You can click on one of the default color bubbles provided. You can select a custom color by clicking on the color bubble next to the hex value and selecting a color from the gradient or typing in a custom hex value.
Any customizaton you set in the left sidebar will appear in the preview on the right. For every step, you'll see an interactive preview so you have an idea of what your lead flow will look like once it's live.
Click Next when you've finished customizing the callout text and color.
FormIn the Form tab, you can customize what your visitors see when they click on your lead flow button. This includes:
- Form body: add body text to elaborate on the value you're providing with your lead flow. The body text will also be included in the callout step of your lead flow.
- Included fields: add additional fields to the form by clicking + Add another form field. Lead flows support the following field types: Single-line text, Multi-line text, Dropdown fields, Single checkbox fields, Number fields, and Date picker fields. To customize the way this form field appears to visitors, click the pencil icon to edit the field label or add placeholder text. For the Email field, you can specify email addresses and domains to block.
- Form button text: update the text that appears on your form button if you would like to make any changes. The text you added for the form button in the callout tab will carry over into this field automatically.
- Language: set the form language. You can change the language of the non-editable parts of the pop-up form, including the form field labels. It's currently possible to translate these parts of the form to French, Spanish, Japanese, German, and Brazilian Portuguese.
Once you're done customizing your form, click Next.
In the Thank you tab, you can create a thank you message that your visitor will see after submitting your form. You can use the rich text editor to link your visitor to additional resources or downloads and include some lightly formatted text.
To redirect your visitors to a new page, download a file, book a meeting with your team, or add event details to their calendar click the Add a button checkbox to add a redirect button. You can customize the Button text for the redirect button visitors can click after submitting your lead flow.
The redirect button supports the following types of actions:
- Redirect to a non-HubSpot URL: visitors will be redirected to an external webpage. Enter the URL of your external page in the Non-HubSpot URL text field.
- Redirect to a HubSpot page or blog post: visitors will be redirected to one of your HubSpot pages or blog posts. Use the Choose a HubSpot page or blog post dropdown menu to select one of your published HubSpot pages or blog post.
- Download a file: visitors will be redirected to a new file. Click Browse files to select a file from your file manager in the pane on the right. To upload a new file, click Add file and choose a file from Google Drive, Dropbox, or upload a new file.
- Schedule a meeting: visitors can schedule a meeting with someone on your team using one of your meetings links. Use the Meeting Link dropdown menu to select one of your existing meetings links.
- Add a calendar event: visitors can add a new calendar event to their Google Calendar or Outlook. Enter your event date, time, and details. Visitors will be able to
When you're done, click Next.
In the Follow up tab, you can create a follow-up email that your visitor will receive after submitting your form. To do so, click Create follow-up email.
Please note: free users are required to complete an email setup wizard to enable double opt-in for lead flows.Customize the details of your follow-up email:
- Sender: Specify the sender of your lead flow follow-up email in the Sender dropdown menu, which pulls a list of users in your account.
- Subject: Add a subject to the email.
- Email body: Add email body text to continue engaging with your contact.
- Email footer: click Edit email footer to customize your company's name and address in your settings.
When you've finished setting up your follow-up email, click Next.
In the Options tab, you can customize the following:
- Lead flow location: set your targeting rules to control which pages your lead flows will appear on. You can use the Website URL or the Query parameter option, and can exclude certain pages from showing the lead flow:
- Use the Website URL option to customize your targeting rules using three options: is all pages, is, begins with. For example, if you choose Website URL is www.website.com, the lead flow will only show on this specific web page.
- Use the Query parameter option to pair a parameter and its corresponding value. For example, utm_campaign="spring_promotion" would show the lead flow on any URLs with the campaign parameter spring promotion.
- Flow triggers: select the user action that will trigger the lead flow to appear:
- Page scroll will trigger the flow when your visitor scrolls 50% down your page.
- Elapsed time simply triggers the flow after X seconds have past (a minimum of seven seconds is required).
- Exit intent triggers the lead flow when the visitor's mouse exits the browser window. Please note that the Exit intent option is only available with a Pop-up box lead flow type.
- Small screen sizes: you can disable lead flows for mobile by selecting the checkbox beside Disable lead flow on small screen sizes. Lead flows are fully mobile optimized but, in light of some Google changes in January 2017, HubSpot recommends disabling lead flows for mobile.
- Show dismissed lead flow: choose how much time should pass before a visitor can see the lead flow again. Click the dropdown menu and select your preferred time.
- Email notifications: customize which users receive lead flow submission notifications from your lead flows by entering their email addresses in this field.
- Push new contacts to your email provider (optional): you can click Manage in settings to set up an email provider to push contacts to. To manage your email service provider settings outside of this creation flow, navigate to Settings under your account dropdown menu in the upper right-hand corner of your HubSpot account. In the left sidebar menu, select Marketing > Email service provider.
Click Next to move on to the final step.
In the Preview tab, the lead flows editor provides an interactive preview where you can test each stage of your lead flow and see it in action. To see how your lead flow will appear on different devices, click the Desktop, Tablet, or Mobile buttons to view an interactive preview.
When you're done previewing your lead flow, click the Publish button at the upper right to take your lead flow live. To save your changes but leave them unpublished, click the Save button instead.