The Instagram and HubSpot integration, currently in BETA, combines HubSpot social publishing with Instagram right on your mobile device. The instructions below walk you through setting up your device for Instagram as well as connecting your Instagram account in your HubSpot Marketing Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account.
1. Install the HubSpot mobile app
You can install the HubSpot mobile app from the Apple App store on your iPhone and log in with your HubSpot credentials. Once installed, make sure your HubSpot app is up-to-date (version 2.23.1). You can check this anytime in the Apple App Store.
2. Enable notifications
Having notifications enabled is an essential part of the Instagram integration. On your mobile device for iOS 10 or earlier, follow the steps below to enable notifications:
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select Notifications.
- On the next screen, select HubSpot.
- Click the toggle ON beside Allow Notifications and choose which type of notification(s) you prefer.
For iOS 11 or later, you will need to set up your notifications in-app first. To do this, open up the app and click the blue banner reading, Be the First to Know. Then click Allow.
3. Ensure that you're an Admin for Facebook pages
Without administrative permissions on your page in Facebook, you will not be able to connect your Instagram account. Read more about administrative roles here.
4. Switch to a Business Profile in Instagram
Open up the Instagram account that you would like to connect and switch to a Business Profile:
- In your Instagram mobile app, navigate to your profile and click the gear icon beside Edit Profile.
- Select Switch to Business Profile.
- Click Continue to move through the welcome steps.
- Once you arrive at the Connect to Facebook screen, select Choose Page.
- A list of all the Facebook pages you're an Administrator of will be shown. Select the page you wish to connect and then select Next in the upper right-hand corner.
- You'll then be brought to the Set Up Your Business Profile screen. Enter information into the fields (you must enter information for at least one field). When you're done, press Done in the upper right-hand corner.
5. Connect Instagram to your HubSpot account
To connect Instagram to your HubSpot account:
- Navigate to Social > Social Settings in your HubSpot Marketing Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account.
- Under the Accounts tab, click Connect account in the upper right-hand corner.
- In the dialog box, select Facebook & Instagram.
- In the Select accounts dialog box, select the Facebook account and the Instagram account you'd like to connect, and then click OK.
- In the next dialog box, Connect a device to receive Instagram reminders, select Connect a device if your device is not listed (if it's already listed in the dialog box, you can click Good to go! Use existing devices).
- After clicking Connect a device, enter your phone number in the Phone number field. Click Next. This will enable SMS notifications as well as send a test push notification.
Please note: if you cancel your Instagram setup before all the steps are complete, you’ll receive a warning that your Instagram setup is incomplete.
- Once your device is connected, a dialog box will appear where you can click Compose a message to create your first message with the integration. If you're not ready to compose yet, then you can click Not yet.
Posting to Instagram from HubSpot
Now that your integration is set up, you can post to your Instagram account from your HubSpot social tool.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Social > Publishing.
- In the upper right-hand corner, click Compose a message. Select the Instagram icon to post to that account. Please note that it may take a few minutes for Instagram to appear as a connected account. If you're not seeing it, refresh the page.
- On the next screen, you can set up the following:
- Select an account to post from using the Posting from: dropdown menu.
- Type in a message in the text box area. Emojis, hashtags, and videos are supported. GIFs are not supported at this time.
- Select an image for your post. Instagram recommends an image size of 1080px by 1080px; however, a square image is not necessary to publish. You can crop the image in Instagram once you post it.
- Use the When: dropdown menu to select a date and time for your post to publish.
- Select a user to notify before publishing using the Send notification to: dropdown menu. This will be the user who is associated with the Instagram account and logged into the mobile app.
- You can click your Instagram icon in the Schedule another: section to create another Instagram post for a future publication.
- You have the option of associating your post with a HubSpot campaign using the Campaign: dropdown menu.
- When you're ready, click Schedule message. If the post isn't quite ready and you'd like to continue working on it later, click Save as draft.
- HubSpot will send a notification to your phone when it comes time to post to Instagram (make sure notifications are enabled). Open it up and you’ll see the image and caption you entered on your computer.
- If everything looks good, then press Open in Instagram, which will generate a dialog box. To verify that you're logged into the correct Instagram account on your phone, press Check before posting. To post the image immediately, press Post now, which will open the Instagram app.
- Your photo should be selected in your camera roll, allowing you to apply further filters and edits from there as needed. Paste the copied caption and publish through Instagram, and your post is all set.
Please note: if you missed the notification or opened your phone and the notification went away, the system can detect whether or not you went ahead and posted to Instagram, and a second notification will be sent to remind you in 15 minutes. If you miss that one, or decide not to publish, your post will not publish and will be stored in your HubSpot social tool under Unsuccessful.
- Analytics for your messages such as views and interactions won’t show up yet in HubSpot, but they’re coming soon.