HubSpot's drag and drop email editor provides an intuitive interface to create and scale your email marketing efforts for your business. Each email created in the editor will render a clean and responsive design on any email client and device type.
Create a new email
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Email.
- Click Create email.
- Choose a template based on the type of email you want to create. Each email template has customizable elements such as images and text fields, which are grouped into sections.
Edit your layout and content
- To add more content to your template, click and drag a new element from the Content tab in the left pane directly into the email editor.
- To modify your template layout, hover over an element and click the blue edge on the left to drag it to a new position. Click the clone icon duplicate or trash can icon deletet to clone or delete the element.
- In the left sidebar, click the Design tab to customize your template's fonts, headings, colors, border, and spacing.
- Click the area just outside your email content to select a section of elements to modify in the left sidebar. In the Section settings, you can:
- Specify the number of columns and how they should be arranged in that section under Column layout.
- Customize spacing, colors, and patterns for that section of your email.
- Click an element to customize its content in the email editor.
- Images, buttons, and dividers can be customized in the left sidebar pane.
- Text elements can be edited inline and styled with the rich text toolbar. You can insert emojis into your text field by clicking the smiley face icon emoji.
- Click the footer to edit your office location information. In the left sidebar, click Manage to update your office address. Update the style of your text in the Font, Link font and Align options, and click the Unsubscribe dropdown menu to select an unsubscribe link type.
- You can add personalization to your text by pulling in values directly from the contact records of your email recipients.
- In the formatting bar, click the Insert personalization token icon contacts.
- Click the Type dropdown menu to select whether the token will come from the Contact record or its associated Company record.
- Click the Property dropdown menu to select which property value to pull into the email body.
- Enter a default value that can be used for any contact without a value for this property and click Save. Then, click Insert to add the token to your text.
Edit your settingsAt the top of the screen, click the Settings tab.
- From name: the name your recipients will see when they receive the email.
- Click the field to select users in your account or to choose the owner.first.name token to automatically pull in the first and last name of the user assigned as the HubSpot Owner for each recipient.
- Click Add/Manage to add additional names or click Personalize to use personalization to pull in another name stored on the contact record.
- From address: the email address the email is sent from.
- Use the dropdown menu to select the email address of any users in your account or to choose the owner.email token to automatically pull in the email address of the HubSpot Owner for the recipient.
- Click Add/Manage to add additional emails or click Personalize to use personalization to pull in another email address stored on the contact record.
- Subject line: the email subject line that appears in an inbox.
- Enter your email subject in the Subject line field.
- Click the smiley face icon emoji to add emojis to your subject line.
- Click Personalize to insert a personalization token.
- Preview text: preview text that usually appears below the email subject in an inbox.
- Internal email name: your users will see this name in the email dashboard.
- Subscription type: the subscription type of the email. Learn more about creating and using subscription types.
- Language: the language used for your unsubscribe links at the bottom of your email.
Review your email
- In the upper right, click Next to advance to the Review tab. This shows any missing or suggested items. Required items will be flagged in red, while additional items will appear for review under Suggestions.
- Click Resolve to navigate to the section of the email editor that needs to be updated.
- In the upper right, click the Actions dropdown menu and select Preview to see what your email will look like for your recipients on different device types.
- The Devices tab will show how your email will render on a desktop or mobile device. By default, your email will render with default values for personalization. Click the Preview as specific contact dropdown menu to preview your email as a specific contact.
- Click the Clients tab and select the checkbox(es) for any email client you want to test, then click Test my email now. At the bottom of your clients list, you can see the results of earlier client tests for this email.
Please note: Marketing Hub Starter users don't have access to email client previews.
- You can also send a test email to yourself or another user in your account:
- In the upper right, click the Actions dropdown menu and select Send test email.
- In the right pane, click the Choose one or more recipients dropdown menu to select recipient(s) for your test email.
- (Optional) Click the Receive email as specific contact dropdown menu to preview the email as it will appear to a specific contact. This is useful for testing personalization.
- Click Send test email.
Send or schedule
- In the upper right, click Next.
- Click the Send to dropdown menu and select the list(s) and/or individual contact(s) to add them to the recipient list.
- Click the Don't send to dropdown menu and select the list(s) and/or individual contact(s) to exclude them from the recipient list.
- Click the Don't send to unengaged contacts checkbox to exclude contacts with low engagement. This feature is best used after you've already sent a few email campaigns from HubSpot, so there is data to identify your unengaged contacts.
- In the right sidebar, select Send now to send your email right away, or select Schedule for later to send it at a specific date and time in the future.
- In the upper right, click Send or Schedule.
- After your email campaign has been sent, learn how to analyze your email results to understand what's working well and what can be improved.
- If you receive feedback from some contacts that they did not receive your email in their inbox, check out some steps your contacts can take to improve deliverability for future emails.
- Check out email marketing lessons from HubSpot Academy to learn how to improve your marketing email content and strategy.