There are two different kinds of lists in your HubSpot account: active lists and static lists.
Active lists automatically update their members based on their criteria. Contacts will join the list whenever they meet the criteria and leave the list when they no longer meet the criteria. An example of using an active list is for email campaigns to a particular subset of your contacts running over time. This ensures that the list you are sending the email campaign to is always updated with new contacts who meet the criteria.
Static lists do not update. New contacts who meet the criteria will not be added to the list. A static list is a snapshot of a group of contacts who meet a certain set of requirements at a certain time. Contacts can be manually added and removed from static lists. A static list helps by keeping track of contacts who met a certain criteria on a particular date.
Please note: the maximum number of lists you can create depends on your Marketing Hub subscription. Learn more about your list limits in the List segmentation section.
Create a new list
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Lists.
- In the upper right, click Create list.
- In the top left, click the pencil icon edit and enter a name for the list.
- In the upper left, click the dropdown menu and select whether it should be an Active list or Static list.
Select list criteria
- In the left panel, set the criteria in the segmentation category you've chosen. Learn more about determining your list criteria.
- Once you've set your criteria, click Apply filter. You'll see a list of contacts start populating on the right as you begin segmenting. This is a preview of the estimated number of contacts that will be added to your list.
- In the upper right, click Save. Your list may take some time to process.
Perform more actions with your list
- To search for a specific contact in your list, use the search bar in the upper right.
- In the upper right, click the Actions dropdown menu to perform additional actions with your list:
- Edit columns: updates the contact properties to display for each contact in the table.
- Export: allows you to download a copy of the list.
- Test a contact: checks if a specific contact will meet the list criteria.
- Move to folder: moves the list to a folder.
- Clone: Makes a copy of the list.
- Delete: permanently deletes the list. You can only delete lists that aren't actively being used elsewhere in HubSpot. Contacts in the list will not be deleted.
- Create a report: builds a custom contacts report.
- View list performance: allows you to analyze your list's metrics, such as the list's size over time, along with the breakdown, engagement, and activity of the list's contacts.
- Resync list with Salesforce (Professional and Enterprise only): triggers a resync of the list with Salesforce.
- Use this list to limit Salesforce Sync (Professional and Enterprise only): allows you to specify the list as an inclusion list for contacts that will sync to Salesforce. Learn more about Salesforce inclusion lists.
- In the upper left, click < Back to lists to return to your list dashboard, where you'll see your new list.
- Hover over the list and click Details to view additional information about your list.
- Click the More dropdown menu for the following options:
- Move to folder
- View list performance