It is important to know how to create a list of contacts because lists are used in other HubSpot tools. You can send a marketing email to a list, enroll a list in a workflow, and more. Creating a list will also give you a better sense of the number of contacts that fit a certain criteria.
Types of lists
There are two types of lists in your HubSpot account: active lists and static lists.
- Active lists automatically update their members based on its criteria.
- Contacts will join the list when they meet the criteria and leave the list when they no longer meet the criteria.
- An example of using an active list is for email campaigns to a particular subset of your contacts running over time.
- This ensures that the list you are sending the email campaign to is always updated with new contacts who meet the criteria.
- Static lists are snapshots of the contacts who meet a set criteria at a point in time.
- Static lists do not update automatically.
- New contacts who meet the criteria will not be added to the list.
- Contacts can be manually added and removed from static lists.
Please note: the maximum number of lists you can create depends on your Marketing Hub subscription. Learn more about your list limits in the List segmentation section.
Set up a new list
Create a list
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Lists.
- In the upper right, click Create list.
- In the top left, click the pencil icon edit and enter a name for the list.
- In the upper left, click the dropdown menu and select whether the list you're creating should be an Active list or a Static list.
Select list criteria
- In the left panel, set the criteria for the contacts you want to work with. Learn more about determining your list criteria.
- Once you've set your criteria, click Apply filter. Contacts that fit this criteria will populate on the right. This is a preview of the estimated number of contacts that will be added to your list.
- In the upper right, click Save. Your list may take some time to process.
Perform other actions in your list
- To search for a specific contact in your list, use the search bar in the upper right.
- In the upper right, click the Actions dropdown menu to perform more actions with your list:
- Edit columns: select the contact properties to display for each contact in the table.
- Export: download a copy of the list.
- Test a contact: check if a specific contact meets the list criteria.
- Move to folder: select a list folder to move the list to.
- Clone: clone the list.
- Delete: permanently deletes the list. You can only delete lists that aren't actively being used elsewhere in HubSpot. Contacts in the list will not be deleted. Learn how to bulk delete contacts.
- Create a report: build a custom report based on your list.
- View list performance: allows you to analyze your list's metrics, such as the list's size over time, and the breakdown, engagement, and activity of the list's contacts.
- Resync list with Salesforce (Professional and Enterprise only): triggers a resync of the list with Salesforce.
- Use this list to limit Salesforce Sync (Professional and Enterprise only): allows you to specify the list as an inclusion list for contacts that will sync to Salesforce. Learn more about Salesforce inclusion lists.