If you edit the steps in an active sequence, the changes will only apply to newly enrolled contacts. To apply any changes to contacts who are currently enrolled in the sequence, you can edit the scheduled emails individually, or re-enroll the contact at a later step.
Edit a sequence email under the Scheduled tab
You can edit a scheduled email in your active sequence under the Scheduled tab on your sequences dashboard. This method is useful if you only need to edit the scheduled emails for a few contacts.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Automation > Sequences.
- Click the Scheduled tab.
- Here, you'll see the contacts currently enrolled in your sequences and the emails that are scheduled to be sent to them. To edit a sequence email, hover over the email and click Edit.
- In the Edit enrollment dialog box, make your sequence edits then click Save changes.
The actively enrolled contact will continue through the updated sequence until they complete each step or are unenrolled.
Please note: editing scheduled send dates or times on one sequence email can affect scheduled send dates or times of later emails in the sequence. The tool respects the delays that were set up when creating and enrolling the contact in the sequence.
Unenroll and re-enroll your contact
If you make a lot of changes to the sequence, you can also unenroll the active contacts then re-enroll them to make sure they go through the updated sequence steps.
- Unenroll the active contact and take note of the next scheduled step in the sequence.
- Enroll the contact at the next step in the sequence. To select which action should execute first, click the Start at dropdown menu and select the step that was next in their sequence.
- Click Start sequence.
Please note: the changes will not apply if you use the Re-enroll option on the sequence summary page.