Create and publish a page
Last updated: November 30, 2020
|All products and plans|
Learn how to create a new page, optimize it for search engines, and publish it on your website. You can use a landing page to present a content offer to attract new visitors to your site. In the website pages tool, you can manage all your site's content in HubSpot.
Before you get started
- To edit any type of page content, you'll need Writing access in your user permissions. To publish a landing page or website page, you'll need Publish access in your user permissions.
- Make sure that your page domain is connected to HubSpot for publishing. If you're using the free landing page builder, your account includes a HubSpot-branded domain that's ready for publishing.
- Identify the topic you're writing about in terms of your broader content strategy. By strategically organizing and cross-linking your content, you'll rank higher in search engines for your hyperlinked keywords. Learn more about how to optimize your page.
Types of page templates
The editing options your page content, layout, and styles depend on the type of template you're using.
- Starter templates include drag and drop editing features and a simple interface to customize fonts, colors, and button styles.
- Theme templates come with drag and drop editing features, unique theme modules, and theme settings.
- For a custom template, work with a developer to create a coded template with the HubSpot Developers CMS documentation. Your developer can also build a layout template with the design manager tool.
- You can find additional page templates on the Asset Marketplace.
Please note: all starter templates have the same options within the page editor and the Design tab. Coded templates, layout templates, theme templates, and templates purchased from the Asset Marketplace will have any style options included by the developer.
Navigate to the page editor
Create a new page
To create a new landing page or website page from scratch:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Website > Landing Pages or Website Pages.
- In the upper right, click the Create dropdown menu and select Website page or Landing page.
- Hover over a template and click Preview in the upper right to see how it will appear on desktop or mobile device. To create a new page with this template, click Use template in the upper right.
- Give your page an internal page name and click Create page.
Please note: you'll be required to give your page a public title in your settings before publishing it.
Edit an existing page
To edit an existing page:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to your landing pages or website pages.
- Hover over an existing page in your dashboard and click Edit.
Edit your page content
Within the page editor, you can edit the contents of each module in your template. To edit the layout of your page or add new modules within the page editor, work with your web developer to add a drag and drop area to your page template.
Edit content in a module
In the Contents tab on the left, you can view and edit all the modules in your page template. If your page contains global content, such as a page header, you'll edit this in your page within the global content editor.
Please note: content options for each module may vary based on the way your template was coded by your developer.
To edit a module's contents, hover over the module and click the edit pencil icon.
Some module types, such as headings, can be edited inline directly on the page preview. Clicking a module will also open its editing options in the left panel. Learn more about common content options for each module type.
To view a complete list of all modules on your page, click the Contents tab on the left panel. Then click a specific module from the list to edit its content options.
To undo or redo an action in the page editor, click the undo icon undo or redo icon redo in the upper left.
Please note: only edits made during the current session in your web browser will be available to undo or redo. If you refresh the page editor, your previous edits will no longer be available.
Edit styles applied to your modules
Modules repeated multiple times on your page, such as buttons or headings, typically have default styles based on your template's stylesheet or your website theme settings. Making changes to these styles typically affect other pages using the same template.
Please note: othe style options available for each module can vary depending on your page template.
Optimize your page for search engines
Edit your page settings
To edit your page settings and add some basic page information, click the Settings tab at the top of the page editor:
- Internal page name: the internal page name is the name you added when you first created the page and is referred to in the dashboard. It is not shown to visitors.
- Page title: the title that displays in the tab at the top of your web browser when the page loads.
- Page URL: the URL for your page. It appears in the URL bar within the browser when visitors navigate to this page. You can edit your page URL even after it's been published.
- Add page to a menu: add the current website page you're working on to a new or existing advanced menu in your content settings.
- Meta description: the content that will appear in search results below the page title.
- Campaign: associate your page to a HubSpot campaign. Select Add new to create a new campaign.
- Featured image: click to toggle this switch on for a specific image to be featured when your page is shared on social media. Click Upload to select an image from your computer or Browse images to select an image from your files tool.
Please note: the Advanced Options section is not available in starter templates.
Click Advanced Options to customized more settings for your page. These settings are not required to publish your page.
- Expire page on a specific date: select the checkbox to schedule your page to expire and redirect on a specific date.
- Control audience access for page: select an option to control audience access for this page.
- Additional code snippets: add code snippets in the Head HTML or Footer HTML fields. This is useful for adding raw HTML or tracking
codeto the <head> or <footer> tag of your page.
- HubDB: if your web developer set up a HubDB table for dynamic database content, you can add your page to a HubDB table here. Click Select a table and select the table to add this page to a database.
- Template: view the template applied to your page. Click Use different template to apply a new template to your page, or Edit this template to edit your template.
Please note: you'll only be able to swap templates that are the same template type.
- Stylesheets: manage the stylesheets attached to your page. To select if the default stylesheets should be enabled, disabled, or follow the default settings, click the dropdown menu and an option. Click Attach a stylesheet and select an existing stylesheet to attach to your page. Stylesheets don't apply to theme templates.
- Canonical URL: customize your page's canonical URL.
Preview your page
In the upper right, click Preview to see how your page will appear to website visitors on different device types. You can also test personalization and smart content in the preview. Learn how to customize the way your page appears on a mobile device.
- Device preview: click Open in new window to see a live preview of your page in a new tab in your browser. This preview link will work before your page is actually published. Click Copy shareable link to copy the link to your clipboard to share it with your team. In order to view the preview link, your teammates must be logged into HubSpot.
- Smart preview: click the Preview as dropdown menu to preview how your page will appear for different contacts in your database.
- Select a contact to preview how personalization will appear based on that particular contact's property values. Click the second dropdown menu to select a specific contact from your database.
- Select a smart rule to preview how smart content on your page will appear to contacts who meet its criteria. Click the second dropdown menu to select a specific smart rule to preview.
- Device type: click Mobile + Tablet to see a live preview of your page on a phone or tablet device. Click Desktop to see a preview of how your page will appear on a web browser.
Publish or schedule your page
After you've added your content, optimized it for search engines, and previewed how it will look to visitors, you're ready to publish your page.
- Click the Publish or schedule tab and select Publish now to publish immediately, or Schedule for later to publish this page at a future date and time.
- If there are any required items missing from your page, you'll see an alert in the upper right corner of the Publish button.
- Once you've finished completing all the required items for your page, click Publish.
Manage multi-language content
You can manage content for your global audience in multiple languages on your landing pages and website...Knowledge Base
Require member registration to access private content
Users with publish permissions can control which contacts can access specific HubSpot-hosted pages, blogs and...Knowledge Base
Add smart content to your emails, website pages, landing pages, and templates
With smart content, a module can display different versions of your content based on certain viewer criteria.Knowledge Base