Find answers and general information quickly about the prospects tool in HubSpot.
Why am I seeing unexpected data in the prospects tool?
The HubSpot prospects tool sources data from various public sources. Occasionally, visits may appear under the wrong company in the prospects tool. Possible reasons include:
- An increasing amount of internet traffic come from mobile devices. It is possible for a visitor to connect to a different WiFi network and show up under a different company.
- By default, your prospects tool will automatically contain the filter Internet service provider | is equal to | false, so you won't have internet service providers in your prospects view. You can remove this by clicking the X on the filter, or by editing the filter to Internet service provider | is equal to | true, and then selecting Update filter.
- The prospects tool checks a visitor's IP address and attempts to identify companies are visiting your website. Smaller companies and individuals may not have their own IP address and will be identified as their internet service provider.
How does HubSpot know the IP address for a given company?
HubSpot maintains a proprietary database of company IP addresses.
Every IP tracking tool maintains their own proprietary list of companies and IP addresses. Hence, the lists may differ between tools.
Can mobile visits be IP tracked?
If a mobile visit comes from a corporate IP address, the prospect tool will attempt to look up the company. If it comes from a mobile network, the company cannot be identified.
Can companies outside the United States be tracked?
HubSpot's database includes companies outside the United States, so the prospects tool does attempt to identify companies outside the United States.
How does data get updated on company records from HubSpot insights?
Company information is refreshed every few months if new data is available for that company, but HubSpot will not overwrite any information you or your team have added to the CRM.
Why is the Daily Prospects Digest email missing some prospects?
Possible reasons include:
- You may not see a prospect in your email because the prospect was hidden. Hidden prospects will not be in your daily email.
- The Daily Prospects Digest email will only show up to 15 prospects.
- If you subscribed to any custom views, the Daily Prospects Digest email will only show up to five prospects per custom view you're subscribed to.
Why does my prospects visited from location not match their actual location?
The prospects tool gives you a general idea of where your prospects are accessing your pages from by recording their IP addresses.
Possible reasons why the traffic may show an inaccurate location include:
- The visitor connected to the internet through a VPN or another server located elsewhere.
- The visitor's internet service provider may have redirected the traffic as a part of optimizing their service.
- The visitor may be using browsing security software that routes their traffic through another source.