Two-factor authentication adds an extra layer of security on top of your username and password when logging into HubSpot by requiring verification of the login through a second linked device, such as an SMS message or Google Authenticator.
How is two-factor authentication more secure?
Because two-factor authentication requires that someone logging into an account has access to a physical object belonging to the account owner only, the risk of a potential intruder gaining access to your account is much lower.
How can I enable two-factor authentication?
First, keep in mind that HubSpot’s two-factor authentication is only enforced for logins using your HubSpot username and password. It cannot be used if you're using Google to sign into HubSpot.To set up two-factor authentication in HubSpot:
- In your HubSpot account, click your account name in the top right corner, then click Profile & Preferences.
- In the left sidebar menu, click Security.
- In the Two-step verification section, click Set up primary method and follow the on-screen instructions. You’ll need access to the device you intend to use as your other login method (e.g., your mobile phone with SMS or the Google Authenticator app).
- Once two-factor authentication is set up, you'll be prompted to enter a code that is delivered to your device.
- After setting up your primary method, click Set up secondary method and follow the on-screen instructions.
Please note: you should enable Google Authenticator as your verification method. Google Authenticator keeps your account and data more secure. SMS verification is more vulnerable to compromise and hijacking than app-based authentication. If possible, enable both a primary and secondary method, and make sure to set up and download your backup codes. A combination of Google Authenticator verification and stored backup codes for recovery will give you the most secure and reliable two-factor authentication setup for your HubSpot account.
If you lose all of your two-factor authentication methods, you won't be able to access your account until HubSpot Support resets your two-factor authentication. This can take up to 72 hours.
Confirm that your team has set up two-factor authentication
You can see which members of your team have set up two-factor authentication:
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, click Users & Teams. If a user has two-factor authentication enabled for their account, you'll see a shield icon next to their email address in your users and teams.
- If the icon's filled in gray, the user has two-factor authentication enabled and has generated a set of backup codes.
- If the shield icon is not filled in, the user has enabled two-factor authentication, but no backup codes have yet been generated.
What countries are supported by SMS two-factor authentication?
Two-factor authentication using the Google Authenticator app is supported globally. When using SMS two-factor authentication, the supported countries are limited to the list below:
- Australia/Cocos/Christmas Island
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Finland/Aland Islands
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States