Subscription types are designed to accurately capture your contacts' email subscription preferences. Below you'll learn:
Rather than relying solely on opt-out functionality, email subscription types capture three states to more clearly represent a contact's consent to communicate with your business.
For each subscription type, contacts may have any of the following three statuses:
- Opted in
- Not opted in or out (default)
- Opted out
Unless a contact explicitly requests to opt into a specific subscription type, they'll be added to your account with a Not opted in or out status. Subscription types can be assigned manually to individual contacts, in bulk from the contacts dashboard, or via API.
Subscription types represent the lawful basis to communicate for a certain category of communications. Just like with lawful basis to process, the lawful basis to communicate could be consent, but it doesn’t have to be (for example, it might be performance of a contract, if the contact is a customer). If you’re manually applying lawful basis to a specific contact, you won’t just be choosing a subscription type; you’ll also be selecting a lawful basis to communicate.
If you have enabled GDPR functionality and have checked the Only send to contacts with an updated lawful basis to communicate, emails can only be sent to contacts who have an Opted in status. With GDPR enabled, your email preferences page will also be impacted. When a contact clicks the link at the bottom of a marketing email, the checkboxes for your subscription types will all be unchecked by default.
If you have not enabled GDPR functionality, emails can be sent to contacts with an Opted in or a Not opted in or out status. Emails will not be delivered to contacts who have chosen to opt out of that subscription type. When a contact visits your email preference page, the checkboxes for your subscription types will be checked by default.
Please note: while GDPR features exist in HubSpot, your legal team is the best resource to give you compliance advice for your specific situation.
If you are a Marketing Hub Basic, Professional, or Enterprise customer, email subscription types can be created and managed from your email settings:
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, click Marketing > Email.
- Click the Types tab.
- Click Create subscription type to add a new subscription type.
- If you have enabled GDPR functionality in your account, use the dropdown menus to select or create a Process and Operation for this subscription type.
- Enter a name and a brief description of how this subscription type will be used.
- Use the checkbox to indicate whether this subscription type is currently active.
- Click Save to save your subscription type.
- On theTypes tab, click a subscription type and drag and drop it to re-order your subscription types and control how they appear on your subscription preferences page.
- To make changes to a subscription type's information, hover over the type and click Edit. Make changes as needed, then click Save.
If you have global contacts, the Multi-Language Subscription Preferences Module from the marketplace allows you to display subscription preferences in a user’s preferred language, based on the language set in their browser settings.
Once you're done setting up your subscription types, learn more about how to manage these subscription types and opt your contacts into an email subscription.