The information below helps with troubleshooting certain issues with the Office 365 add-in.
Please note: if you're using HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in, check out this article instead.
If you're having trouble installing the add-in, make sure you meet the following requirements:
- use a supported version of Outlook.
- have access to the Microsoft store.
- have the necessary permissions from your email administrators to use third party add-ins in your inbox.
- add the add-in in each inbox if you're using multiple inboxes.
- connect your inbox.
If you are using Outlook for PC or Outlook for Mac, the add-in will be grayed out if the Reading Pane is turned off or hidden. Ensure that the Reading Pane is turned on by following this Microsoft article for Outlook for PC and this Microsoft article for Outlook for Mac.
If the Office 365 add-in in Outlook for PC is still grayed out in both your main Outlook inbox ribbon and within your Outlook message ribbon, there's an issue with your Outlook program itself. Try closing Outlook and reopening it.
If the add-in is enabled in your main Outlook inbox ribbon but grayed out in your Outlook message ribbon, try the steps below:
- First, check to see if your email is being encrypted. You may need to contact your IT team for this.
- If your email is not being encrypted, try repairing Outlook:
- Open the Start menu in Windows.
- Search for and select Uninstall a program or Add or remove programs.
- Locate and click the Outlook or Microsoft Office program, then click Modify or Change.
- In the dialog box that appears, you’ll be asked to select the Repair mode. Select Online Repair, then click Repair.
Stuck in an inbox connection loop
If the add-in prompts you to connect your inbox, but leads you in a loop, it is likely your inbox is an alias. Office allows you to create multiple aliases that are connected to your inbox. However, you'll only have one primary email address. If you're not sure what it is, check with your IT team.
Once you understand what your primary email address is:
- Follow these instructions to modify your profile in Outlook, and update your current email address to your primary email address.
- Connect your primary email address to the add-in instead of your alias.
With your primary email address connected, Outlook should allow you to continue using the alias and the inbox connection loop should end.
There are several reasons why your email may not have been tracked when using the Office 365 add-in:
- Your inbox hasn't been connected. The HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in requires a connected inbox.
- The add-in wasn't open when the email was sent. The add-in must be open in order for the email to be tracked. To open the add-in:
- If you're using an Outlook desktop account on a PC or Mac, click Sales Tools in the Outlook message ribbon. If the Sales Tools icon is grayed out, restart Outlook.
- If you're using an Outlook on the web or Outlook.com account, compose a new email and click the HubSpot sprocket icon sprocket in the bottom right-hand corner of the email composition window.
- Emails sent in Plain Text mode cannot be tracked. If you see that emails are sent in Plain Text, switch to HTML mode in the email client you're using with Office 365.
- The Track email opens box was not selected when the email was sent. You'll need to check the box for each email you'd like to track.