Email deliverability is a feedback loop for whether you’re sending the right content to the right contacts at the right time.
Email engagements such as clicks, opens, or spam complaints contribute to your email sending reputation. This sending reputation changes over time, and accumulating higher rates of positive engagements improve your chances of reaching the inbox instead of getting stuck in a spam filter.
By setting up a few features in your HubSpot account, you can take steps to improve your sending reputation and see better deliverability results.
Before you get startedBefore sending any emails from HubSpot, review the following to set yourself up for success.
- Work with your IT team to connect your email sending domain. Adding a few records to your Domain Name Server (i.e. GoDaddy) confirms that you own the email domain you're using with HubSpot. This makes your emails look more authentic to email filters. If your IT team uses a DMARC policy, refer to this resource to make sure all necessary records are updated.
- Enable double opt-in on your HubSpot forms. When this feature is enabled, contacts who submit a form will receive a follow-up email with a link to confirm their subscription. This extra step helps you avoid fake or misspelled email addresses and ensures that all new contacts added to your database are actively engaged with your content.
- Learn to analyze your email results. Email opens and clicks demonstrate that you're sending the right types of content to your subscribers. Spam complaints, high bounce rates, and unsubscribes are negative email engagements that can damage your email sending reputation. Track your results to learn what content resonates with your readers, and which contacts you should include in your email campaigns going forward.
Advanced featuresAfter sending a few email campaigns in HubSpot, you'll be able to use even more features to improve your deliverability results. Email engagements are stores on the contact record in a series of contact properties to help you identify trends and take action to improve your future email results.
- Review your contact lists to identify outdated email addresses and unengaged contacts. Remove these contacts from your lists to see better email metrics and boost your sending reputation.
- Enable graymail suppression in your email settings. Graymail is a term for email that sits unopened in your recipients' inbox, which makes you look like a spammy sender. This feature uses the Sends since last engagement contact property to automatically exclude contacts that aren't engaging with your emails to instantly improve your email deliverability results.
- HubSpot Marketing Professional and Enterprise customers can use the A/B testing feature in the email tool to learn what content and timing works best for your contacts. This user guide covers the feature and A/B testing best practices in depth, which can be useful for any email marketer that wants to compare the performance of email variations.