HubSpot uses the HubSpot Owner contact property to determine ownership of contacts in HubSpot. You can automatically assign a HubSpot owner to a contact with a workflow using a Set contact property value action.
This workflow can also be used to automatically assign a custom owner if you have created custom HubSpot user field type properties.
Follow the steps below to learn how to automatically assign a HubSpot owner or custom owner:
- Navigate to Workflows:
- In your Marketing Professional or Enterprise account, navigate to Contacts > Workflows.
- In your Sales Professional account, navigate to Sales Tools > Workflows.
- Select New workflow in the upper right-hand corner.
- Name your workflow and select Standard as the workflow type. Then click Create workflow.
- Decide on your enrollment triggers (e.g., Contact Property State/Region is equal to...). If you'd like to assign ownership for contacts who already meet the criteria of your starting condition(s), check the box next to Enroll contacts who already meet this criteria. Click Save to save your starting conditions.
- Click the + icon below the starting condition you created to add an action.
- In the sidebar menu that appears for this next step, select Set contact property value:
- To set a user for the default HubSpot Owner property, select HubSpot Owner from the Contact property dropdown menu. Then select the appropriate HubSpot owner from the New property value dropdown menu based on your enrollment criteria, and click Save.
- To set a user for your custom owner property, select your custom property from the Contact property dropdown menu and then the appropriate user from the New property value dropdown menu. Click Save.
- When you're ready to take your workflow live, toggle the ON/OFF switch in the upper right-hand corner. In the dialog box that appears, review your workflow settings and click Turn workflow on. The switch will then turn blue and tell you that your workflow is on.
To automatically assign ownership to each of your other HubSpot owners or custom owners, you can clone this workflow. Then change the enrollment trigger(s) based on the assignment rules for each owner and update the selected HubSpot owner or user in the dropdown menu after selecting Set contact property value. Alternatively, use branching logic to assign different owners to your leads based on different criteria.
You can also use the Rotate leads action to assign your leads evenly across multiple HubSpot owners (this workflow does not pertain to custom owners). To learn more about using this action, check out this article.