Use branches in workflows to send enrolled objects down multiple paths based on specific conditions.
In workflows, there are two types of branches:
- If/then branch: manually configure multiple branches based on properties, activities, and more depending on the workflow type. You can configure this type of branch using AND and OR criteria to further filter enrolled records. Example uses include:
- Branching enrolled contacts that have filled out a form.
- Branching enrolled companies that are based in Boston AND have greater than three open deals.
- Value equals branch: automatically configure multiple branches based on properties and the outcomes of previous actions. This type of branch cannot be configured with AND and OR criteria. Each branch action can create up to 250 unique branches for a single property. Example uses include:
- Building a workflow that creates tasks, then delays contacts until the task is completed. The branch can then segment contacts by whether or not the task was completed.
- Automatically creating a branch for each owner in a lead rotation workflow.
Before you get started
Before setting up your workflow branches, please take note of the following:
- If your branch criteria is based on analytics such as page views, it's recommended that you add an 80 minute delay before the branch. This provides sufficient time for the analytics to update, learn more about the frequency of HubSpot's analytics updates.
- if your branch criteria is based on a contact or associated contact engaging with content in a previous action in the workflow (e.g., contacts opening a marketing email sent in a previous action), add a delay before your branch to ensure that they have time to engage with your content.
- If you're using a Value equals branch with the criteria based on a multi-checkbox type property, and your record has more than one value, the record will proceed down the None met branch as it is not an exact match. Instead, you can use an if/then branch instead and select the is any of criteria.
Add a branch to your workflow
To add a branch action to a workflow:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Automation > Workflows.
- To edit an existing workflow, hover over the workflow, then click Edit. Or, learn how to create a new workflow.
- Click the + plus icon to add a new action.
- In the right panel, select If/then branch or Value equals branch.
After selecting your branch type, you'll then configure the branch.
Configure an if/then branch
After selecting the If/then branch action:
- In the right panel, in the Branch name field, enter a name for the branch.
- Select the filter type, then select the criteria for the if/then branch. If/then branch criteria options are identical to enrollment trigger criteria options.
- After selecting the criteria, click Apply filter.
Add multiple branches
You can add up to 20 branches to an if/then branch action to consolidate your workflow. Enrolled records will be evaluated against each branch in the order that the branches are set. For example, if a contact meets the first branch criteria, they'll proceed down that YES branch without being evaluated against other branches. Learn how to reorder your if/then branches.
In the example screenshot below, contacts are being evaluated against 3 branches based on their Lifecycle stage property:
To add multiple branches to an if/then branch action:
- After adding your first if/then branch condition, click Add another branch.
- Select the criteria for the new branch, then click Apply filter.
- To clone a branch, hover over the branch, then click the duplicate clone icon.
- When you're done, click Save.
At any time, you can reorder branches within an if/then branch:
- Click the if/then branch action.
- In the right panel, hover over the branch, then click and drag the blue drag and drop bar to the desired location. Or, click the More dropdown menu and select Move up or Move down.
- Click Save.
Configure a value equals branch
After selecting the Value equals branch action:
- In the right panel, select your branch criteria by clicking the Property or value to branch on dropdown menu:
- To branch on property values of enrolled records, click to expand [Record] in this workflow, then select a property.
- To branch on the outcomes of previous actions, click to expand the previous action name, then select an action outcome.
- To create a separate branch for each value in the property or outcome, select the Create a separate branch for each value in this property checkbox. This option will only appear for checkbox and select type properties.
- Click Next.
- Set up the branches that you want to create:
- To add a branch, click + Add a branch, then enter the branch value into the value field.
- To remove a branch, click the delete delete icon next to the value.
- To create your branches, click Save.
Add actions after the branch
After adding your branches, add actions below each branch.
- Click the + plus icon to add an action under the YES branch or under the NO branch. In the example below, if a contact has filled out the Contact Us form, they will go down the YES path. If they have not filled out the Contact Us form, they will go down the NO path.
- Click the + plus icon to add more actions if needed. Enrolled records will complete the workflow after the last action in the branch.
Test the branch
You can test your if/then branches either individually or by testing all workflow actions to see how an object would go through all branches.
Please note: an if/then branch with multiple branches can't be tested individually. Instead, use the Test feature to test all workflow actions.
Value equals branches can be tested by testing all workflow actions.
Clean up your branches
Suggestions will be made for branches that are added to your workflow. When a branch is added an alert may display in the top left to let you know that there are alternate branching options available. When using the clean up functionality, it will only change branch actions.
The behaviour of the workflow will not be changed, the recommendations will only help to optimize the structure of the branches. This will help to create the most concise and simple version of your workflow.
To review the proposed improvements:
- In the top left, click Clean up.
- Review the proposed changes to your branches.
- To accept the suggested change, click Accept changes.