You can create and host a blog in multiple languages for your global audience. First, you'll first create a multi-language variation of your blog in your blog settings. Then you'll be able to create multi-language variations of each blog post.
By creating all your blog posts in one multi-language group, the URLs of each post will automatically be aligned with the same URL and a corresponding language slug. This ensures that SEO for all blog posts in the group will be based on the best-performing post.
Please note: you can create multi-language variations for global content that appears on your blog template from within the blog post editor. Global content typically includes the header and footer applied to both your blog listing template and your blog post template.
Before you get started
- Before you create multi-language variations, create your blog in your blog settings within your account settings.
- Work with your web developer or someone to add a language switcher to your blog post template. This language switcher module will only appear if you have a blog post published at the same URL in multiple languages.
Please note: the language switcher module isn't currently supported on the blog listing template for your blog's homepage. If you want to add a link to your blog's listing page in other languages, work with a developer to edit your coded blog listing template.
Create a multi-language blog
To add a new language variation to your HubSpot blog:
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Website > Blog.
- In the upper left, click the Select a blog to modify dropdown menu to select the blog you want to host in multiple languages.
- Too add a language variation, click the Language dropdown menu and select Add/edit multi-language variations.
- In the right panel, you can add or remove language variations for your blog. You can also adjust which language should be considered the Master language for this blog.
- To create a new version of your blog in another language, click + Add a language variation and select another language.
- After adding your language variations for this blog, click Save in the lower left.
You can remove a multi-language variation of your blog from within your blog settings. Click the Language dropdown menu to select the language variation you want to delete. Then click Delete blog in the upper right.
Edit your multi-language blog settings
After creating a multi-language blog, you can customize certain blog settings so the blog's details will be in the same language. Keep in mind that most blog settings will be based on what you've selected for your blog in the master language.
General: on the General tab, you can edit the details of your blog header, page title, and meta description so the descriptions of your blog in search results will be in the selected language.
Templates: your Templates settings are based on the settings from the blog in the master language.
Subscriptions: on the Subscriptions tab, you can set up unique blog subscriptions emails for your subscribers. Learn more about how to manage your blog subscription options.
Date Formats: your date format settings will be set automatically based on the language you selected for your multi-language variation. You can further customize the format or the locale your blog's date format here.
Comments: your Comments settings are based on the settings from the blog in the master language.
Social Sharing: the social sharing buttons that appear on your blog template are based on the settings of your blog in the master language. If you'd like to automatically publish your blog to certain social media accounts, you can connect them to this new multi-language blog in your social settings.
Google AMP: your Google AMP settings are based on the settings from the blog in the master language.
Create a blog post in multiple languages
After creating multi-language variations of your blog, you're ready to create a group of blog posts in each language.
To create a multi-language variation of a blog post:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Website > Blog.
- Hover over the blog post you'd like to create in additional languages. Then click the More dropdown menu and select Create a multi-language variation.
- In the dialog box, click the Language variation dropdown menu and select one of the languages you added in your blog settings.
- In the lower left, click Save to create your new blog post variation.
Next, in the content editor, you'll have a clone of your existing blog post in the master language. Here you can translate and localize the content in your new language variation.
Please note: if your blog contains global content that appears across multiple templates, you'll create a multi-language variation for the global content in your blog's language.
- Within the blog post editor, edit your blog content for the Variation language you've selected.
- You can switch between multi-language variations in the editor by clicking the Language dropdown menu at the top of the page.
- The URL of your multi-language blog post variation will include a slug for your blog's language in the Page URL within the Settings tab.
Create multi-language variations for global content on your blog template
Most blog templates are coded files to render a listing of your blog content. Blogs include global content for the header and footer applied to the blog post template and blog listing template.You can create multi-language variations for global content on your blog templates from within the blog post editor. If you want to add more modules or create a new global group, you can make your changes to your blog templates with your web developer.