Navigate to Email
In your HubSpot Marketing Hub Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to Content > Email.
Create new email
Once in your email dashboard, click Create email. If you're not incredibly familiar with creating a new email or this is the first time you're creating a new email, check out this article before creating an A/B testing email.
Create A/B test
After you've chosen your email template and given your email a name, you'll be directed to the email editor. Click on the A/B icon on the left-hand side and click Create A/B Test.
In the window that pops up, you can give the new variation of your email a name. By default, HubSpot will populate this with the same name as your email but with "(Variation)" at the end. Once you're satisfied with the name of your email variation, click OK.
Editing your A and B variations
You can proceed as you normally would in creating a new email, but keep in mind that you now have two areas to create your content, your A variation and your B variation. You can switch between the two by clicking on A or B at the top left-hand side of the editor.
While editing your variations, here are some things to consider for testing:
- Offers - Experiment with the medium of the offer. You might test an eBook versus a whitepaper or video.
- Copy - Experiment with the formatting and style of the content. You could test plain paragraphs versus bullet points or a longer block of text vs a shorter block of text.
- Email Sender - Try sending the email from an employee's email address instead of a generic department address.
- Image - Try out different images to see how the conversion rate is influenced.
- Subject Line - Play around with the length of the subject line or add personalization.
- Whole Email - The fastest way to achieve drastic results and produce a landing page that drives a lot of conversions is to test the entire email. Make iterations to the whole email that affect image placement, subject line, and its copy. Once you have a statistically significant result pointing to the variation that performed better, you can continue optimizing through smaller tweaks.
Once you've edited your A and B variations to your liking, you'll want to configure your testing options by clicking on the A/B icon on the left once more.
Set the size of your test group
First, you'll need to decide on the size of your test group. You can move the slider to decide what percentage of contacts will receive Variation A and Variation B.
If you'd like, you can also set the slider to send Variation A to 50% and Variation B to 50%. This will send one email variation to half of the contacts on the list, and the other email to the other half of contacts. This lets you analyze the statistics of the two after the send to see which was more successful.
While you can do a 50/50 test using any sample size, all other sample splits require a list that includes at least 1,000 recipients, excluding any contacts that previously hard bounced or unsubscribed.
Choose your winning metric
If you've opted to send variations A and B to a smaller group and then send the winning version to the rest, next you need to select the metric that will decide how the winning variation will be chosen. You can choose the winner based on Opens by delivered, Clicks by delivered, or Clicks by opens. (Learn more about how HubSpot calculates these metrics in this article.)
Time to gather test results
Next you'll want to choose how long you want to gather results before sending the winning variation. Simply grab the slider button and move it to a position that makes sense for your email. Keep in mind, if you schedule an email to go out at 8am and you set this slider to be 2 hours, the winning variation will ultimately go out at 10am.
Version to send if sample is too low
If your final list that gets sent your email is smaller than 1,000 contacts, excluding unsubscribes and previous bounces, and you have not elected to do a 50/50 split test, you must decide here which variation which will be sent.
Variation to send if results are inconclusive
If the results are inconclusive after the test duration has concluded, the version selected from this
Send your email
Once you've gone through those steps and you're ready to send your email, click Send.
View your email performanceAfter you have sent your email and some time has passed to gather data, you can see the performance of your variations by navigating to Marketing > Email and clicking on the name of your A/B email. The results of the A/B test will be summarized on the Performance screen. The winning email version and metric will be highlighted on your results in green.
You can use the