If a customer's payment method fails when completing a payment for a subscription, HubSpot will send an email to the buyer with a link to update their payment method.
When updating their payment method, buyers can choose to update their credit card or ACH payment methods based on the default payment method settings. You can also manually send the email if a buyer reaches out and wants to update their payment details.
Please note: HubSpot will not automatically retry charging a payment method for a failed payment. However, if the issue is resolved with the original payment method, the buyer can re-enter their original payment details when updating their payment method and that payment method will be charged again.
This article covers updating payment information for recurring payments made using the payments tool. To change your billing information for your HubSpot account, learn how to update your payment method in your account settings.
Update payment method for failed payments
In the email sent to the buyer after a payment fails, the buyer can click Update payment method.
They'll be brought to a checkout page where they can update their payment details. Any unpaid subscription payments will be charged to the updated payment method. If you don't want this email to be sent automatically when a payment fails, you can turn this off in your settings.
Please note: the payment method update page will show all payment methods enabled in your default payment method settings. This means that if a payment link originally only allowed payment through ACH, but your default payment method settings allow both ACH and credit card, the buyer will be able to update their payment method to a credit card. To limit the available payment methods, you'll need to update your default payment method settings.
Send link to update payment method
You can also manually send an email to a buyer so they can update their payment method. Any failed payments will appear in the Subscriptions card on the record and will have an Unpaid status.
- Navigate to a contact or deal record:
- Contacts: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- Companies: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Companies.
- Deals: In your HubSpot account, navigate to Sales > Deals.
- Click the name of a record.
- In the right sidebar, on the Subscriptions card, hover over a subscription and click Preview.
- In the top right corner, click the Actions dropdown menu and select Update payment method.
- In the dialog box, review the content then click Send link. The link will be sent to the subscription's associated contact's email address.
Turn off failed payment email
If you don't want a failed payment email to be sent out, you can turn this off in your payments settings.
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings settings icon in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Payments.
- Click the Notifications tab.
- Click to toggle the Send customers an email when a recurring payment fails switch off.
You can still manually send an email to a buyer to update their payment information if this setting is turned off.