If you select Known contacts orVisitors who meet smart list criteria as your target audience for the HubSpot Sales Pro messages tool, your messages widget may not appear for all contacts who meet this criteria. Below are a couple reasons why this could happen.
Message status and target audience
Make sure your message status is on and your target audience is specified:
- In your HubSpot Sales account, navigate to Sales Tools > Messages.
- Ensure the STATUS toggle to the left of your message is ON.
- After confirming your message status is on, hover over the message and click Edit.
- From the left-side menu, click Target audience.
- Check that your intended choice is selected from the dropdown menu under Display to:
If your message status is on and your target audience is set up but your message widget is still not appearing for contacts that meet your target audience criteria, this is most likely due to tracking cookies. For your messages widget to appear for a visitor, a tracking cookie must be associated with the visitor's contact record in your contact database. If the contact record does not have a tracking cookie, then your messages widget will not appear for the visitor associated with the contact record.
How does a visitor get a tracking cookie?
Visitors are tracked anonymously with a tracking cookie before becoming contacts. HubSpot can then associate their website activity on the tracking cookie with their contact record in two ways:
- The visitor fills out a HubSpot form.
- The visitor clicks through a HubSpot Marketing email leading them to a HubSpot page or to a non-HubSpot page with the HubSpot tracking code installed.
(Additionally, you can use the tracking code API to track visitors to your site.)
Until the visitor performs one of the conversions above, HubSpot doesn't know who the visitor is or what lists or views the visitor's contact record is part of. Therefore, if you have contacts that haven't converted yet, they won't see your messages widget even if they're a contact in your databse or a member of the list you're targeting to.
Please note: Even if the visitor has done one of the two actions above to get a tracking cookie, if the visitor has since deleted browser cookies or visited your site in a different browser, in an incognito window, or on their mobile device, then their tracking cookie can't be detected and your messages widget won't appear for them.
Why do I have contacts without a tracking cookie?
Here are a few common ways contacts can exist in your database without converting on a form or clicking a marketing email link:
- The contact was imported.
- The contact was added manually.
- The contact was created from a logged sales email.
Once a contact in your database is tracked with a tracking cookie, then HubSpot considers them a known contact. If they meet your target audience criteria, your message widget will display for them when they visit your site.