Create a custom multi-touch revenue attribution report. Multi-touch attribution relates revenue in the form of "credit" to customer interactions in HubSpot, so you can understand better how the marketing and sales activities are creating revenue for your business.
Please note: the multi-touch revenue attribution report only takes into account deals with known values in their Amount property, Close date property, and Create date property. From such deals, the following data is used for the report:
- Revenue from such deals in HubSpot that are in a closed-won stage;
- Interactions from customers associated with these deals.
It will not take into account any revenue or customer interactions outside of HubSpot or from deals that do not have those property values.
Create a custom multi-touch revenue attribution report
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Reports > Reports.
- In the upper right, click Create custom report.
- In the left panel, select Attribution.
- Select Revenue, then click Next in the top right.
- Click the pencil icon edit iito name your report.
- In the left panel, Explore tab, you can learn about the different types of reports you can create using revenue attribution.
- Click See how it works to watch a video tutorial and read more about how revenue attribution can help you with measuring your marketing activities.
- In the Sample reports section, click View to check out a sample report that helps to answer the question stated. This will automatically set certain options in the Configure tab for you to produce the report.
- To configure your report, in the left panel, click the Configure tab:
- Chart type: select how you want your data to be represented.
- Deal close date: select a date range. The revenue from the deals closed within that date range will be included in the data for the chart.
- Deal pipeline: select a pipeline or all pipelines. Only revenue that comes from deals in the selected deal pipeline will be included in the data for the chart.
- Deal type: select a deal type or all types. Only revenue from deals of the selected deal type will be included in the data for the chart. By default, deal types are either a New Business or Existing Business. You can edit or add new deal types in your deal property settings.
- Interactions: select to display revenue from all interactions, marketing interactions only, or sales interactions only.
- Marketing interactions only: only revenue driven by content will be displayed.
- Sales interactions only: only revenue driven by calls, meetings, sales emails, and conversations will be displayed.
- Dimensions: select a dimension to slice the deal revenue credit by. You can click Add another dimension to slice the data further. This can be by:
- Content type: select to assign deal revenue credits by content type. Learn more about content types.
- Content title: select to assign deal revenue credits by the titles of your content. Where the content does not have a title, the URL of the content will be displayed.
- Deal: select to assign deal revenue credits by deal.
- Deal pipeline: select to assign deal revenue credits by deal pipeline.
- Deal type: select to assign deal revenue credits by deal type.
- Campaign: select to assign deal revenue credits based on assets associated with your HubSpot campaigns.
- Interaction source: select to assign deal revenue credits by interaction source. Learn more about interaction sources.
- Interaction type: select to assign deal revenue credits by interaction type. Learn more about interaction types.
- Attribution Models: click Choose to select one or more attribution models, based on how they attribute credit to the different interactions. If you select more than one model, each model and their associated credits will be displayed separately in the chart.
- When you're done building your report, click Save in the top right.
Bucket credits from your externally-hosted pages to a specific content type
If your business's website is not hosted with HubSpot and does not use the HubSpot content management system, your website is hosted externally outside of HubSpot.
By default, any credits attributed to an externally-hosted page will be bucketed under the Pages without content type content type.
However, you can bucket credits attributed to your externally-hosted pages to other content types by requesting your developer team add the following code to those pages:
var _hsq = window._hsq = window._hsq || ; _hsq.push(['setContentType', 'CONTENT_TYPE']);
CONTENT_TYPE text in the code with the expression for the content type you want the credits to be attributed to.
- To attribute credits to the Website page content type, use the expressions
- To attribute credits to the Landing page content type, use the expression
- To attribute credits to the Listing page content type, use the expression
- To attribute credits to the Blog post content type, use the expression
- To attribute credits to the Knowledge article content type, use the expression
Definitions and information on revenue attribution
There are six different attribution models that splits the revenue credits to interactions differently.
- First interaction: attributes 100% of the deal revenue credits to the contact's first interaction in the conversion path.
- Last interaction: attributes 100% of the deal revenue credits to the contact's last interaction in the conversion path.
- Attributes 22.5% of the deal revenue credits to first interaction, lead creation, deal creation, and last interaction each.
- Attributes the remaining 10% of the deal revenue credits to all other interactions equally (i.e., middle interactions).
- Linear: attributes the deal revenue credits equally to each interaction in the conversion path.
- Attributes 40% of the deal revenue credits to the first interaction and lead conversion interactions each.
- Attributes the remaining 20% of the deal revenue credits to all other interactions equally.
- Attributes 30% of the deal revenue credits to the first interaction, lead conversion interaction, and deal creation interaction each.
- Attributes the remaining 10% of the deal revenue credits to all other interactions equally.
The models attribute revenue credit to interactions, and will apportion higher credit to key conversion points in the customer journey. The key conversion points are:
- First interaction: the customer's first interaction recorded in HubSpot. This is usually their first visit to your website.
- Lead creation: the customer's last interaction before they were converted to a contact in HubSpot.
- Deal creation: the customer's last interaction before a deal was associated to them.
- Closed-won: the customer's last interaction before the deal associated to them moved to a closed-won stage.
Any interactions that occur between these key conversion points are called middle interactions.
- Website page: website pages in HubSpot.
- Landing page: landing pages in HubSpot.
- Blog post: blog posts in HubSpot.
- Listing page: blog listing pages in HubSpot.
- Marketing email: marketing emails in HubSpot.
- Meeting: meetings set up or logged in HubSpot.
- Knowledge article: articles in your HubSpot knowledge base.
- Misc. HubSpot page: a HubSpot-built page that are not categorized, such as meeting links and subscription pages.
- Pages without content type: any pages that are not categorized above with your HubSpot tracking code installed, including pages you're hosting externally.
- Contact import: importing contacts.
- Call: calls made or logged in HubSpot.
- Social post: social posts published through HubSpot.
- Sales email: one-to-one emails sent through, tracked by, or logged in HubSpot.
- Ads: ads tracked in HubSpot.
- Conversation: conversations in HubSpot.
- Integration: interactions logged on a contact record through an integration (e.g., contact created in Salesforce, Zoom, custom API).
- Other lead creation: contact was created by other means not stated (e.g., manually created in HubSpot, created through the HubSpot Sales extension).
Interactions are bucketed by the session where they occurred (e.g., a page view during a session that started through an AdWords ad will be an interaction bucketed under Paid Search).
Where the interaction doesn't occur during a session, they will be bucketed based on the type of interaction:
- Meeting, Call, Sales email reply, and Conversation interactions are bucketed under Sales.
- Marketing email click interactions are bucketed under Email marketing.
- Social post click interactions are bucketed under Social media.
These are the different interaction types available for the report.
- Page view: the customer viewed one of your HubSpot pages, or an external page with your HubSpot tracking code.
- Form submission: the customer submitted a form tracked by HubSpot.
- CTA click: the customer clicked a HubSpot CTA.
- Social post click: the customer clicked a social post published through HubSpot.
- Marketing email click: the customer clicked within a marketing email sent through HubSpot.
- Sales email reply: the customer replied to a one-to-one email that is tracked and logged by HubSpot.
- Meeting: the customer had a meeting with a HubSpot user.
- Call: the customer had a call with a HubSpot user.
- Contact creation in HubSpot: the customer was created in Hubspot. This includes imports and manual creation.
- Conversations: the customer went through a conversation with a HubSpot user.
- Ad click: the customer clicked one of your ads tracked by HubSpot.