Create a custom multi-touch contact attribution report.
The report attributes the number of newly created contacts in the form of "contact credits" to their interactions with your business as recorded in HubSpot, so you can understand better how marketing and sales activities are pulling leads for your business.
Create a custom multi-touch revenue attribution report
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Reports > Reports.
- In the upper right, click Create custom report.
- In the left panel, select Attribution.
- Select Contacts, then click Next in the top right.
- Click the edit pencil icon to name your report.
- In the left panel, Explore tab, learn about the possible reports you can create using contact attribution. Click View to check out a sample report that helps to answer the question stated. This will automatically set certain options in the Configure tab for you to produce the report.
- To set up and customize your report, in the left panel, click the Configure tab.
- Chart type: select how you want your data to be represented. Learn more about the different chart types available in HubSpot.
- Contact create date: select the contacts you want to analyze based on when they were created.
- Lifecycle stages: select the contacts you want to analyze based on their current lifecycle stage.
- Buying roles: select the contacts you want to analyze based on the values in their buying role.
- Dimensions: select a dimension to slice the new contact credit by. You can click Add another dimension to slice the data further. The dimensions are:
- Content type: select to assign contact credits by content type. Learn more about content types.
- Content title: select to assign contact credits by the titles in your content. Where the content does not have a title, the URL of the content will be displayed.
- Campaign: select to assign contact credits based on assets associated with your HubSpot campaigns.
- Referrer: select to assign contact credits based on how they were referred to your business.
- Interaction source: select to assign contact credits by interaction source. Learn more about interaction sources.
- Interaction type: select to assign contact credits by interaction type. Learn more about interaction types.
- Contact: select to view individual contacts.
- Attribution Models: select one or more attribution models, based on how they attribute credit to the different interactions. If you select more than one model, each model and their associated credits will be displayed separately in the chart.
- When you're done building your report, click Save in the top right. You can click Export to send a file containing the data to your HubSpot registered email address.
Definitions and information on revenue attribution
There are six different attribution models that splits the revenue credits to interactions differently.
- First interaction: attributes 100% of the contact credits to the contact's first interaction in the conversion path.
- Last interaction: attributes 100% of the contact credits credits to the contact's last interaction in the conversion path.
- Linear: attributes the contact credits equally to each interaction in the conversion path.
- Attributes 40% of the contact credits to the first interaction and lead conversion interactions each.
- Attributes the remaining 20% of the contact credits to all other interactions equally.
The models attribute revenue credit to interactions, and will apportion higher credit to key conversion points in the customer journey. The key conversion points are:
- First interaction: the customer's first interaction recorded in HubSpot. This is usually their first visit to your website.
- Lead creation: the customer's last interaction before they were converted to a contact in HubSpot.
- Deal creation: the customer's last interaction before a deal was associated to them.
- Closed-won: the customer's last interaction before the deal associated to them moved to a closed-won stage.
Any interactions that occur between these key conversion points are called middle interactions.
- Contact import: importing contacts.
- Website page: website pages in HubSpot.
- Landing page: landing pages in HubSpot.
- Blog post: blog posts in HubSpot.
- Listing page: blog listing pages in HubSpot.
- Meeting: meetings set up or logged in HubSpot.
- Knowledge article: articles in your HubSpot knowledge base.
- Misc. HubSpot page: a HubSpot-built page that are not categorized, such as meeting links and subscription pages.
- External page: external pages with the HubSpot tracking code installed.
- Social post: social posts published through HubSpot.
- Sales email: one-to-one emails sent through, tracked by, or logged in HubSpot.
- Ads: ads tracked HubSpot.
- Conversation: conversations in HubSpot.
- Integration: interactions logged on a contact record through an integration (e.g., contact created in Salesforce, Zoom, custom API).
- Other Lead Creation: contact was created by other means not stated (e.g., manually created in HubSpot, created through the HubSpot Sales extension).
Interactions are bucketed by the traffic source of the session where they occurred (e.g., a page view during a session that started through an AdWords ad will be an interaction bucketed under Paid Search).
Where the interaction doesn't occur during a session, they will be bucketed based on the type of interaction:
- Meeting, Call, Sales email reply, and Conversation interactions are bucketed under Sales.
- Marketing email click interactions are bucketed under Email marketing.
- Social post click interactions are bucketed under Social media.
- If the interaction was the creation of the contact and this occurred offline, they are bucketed under Offline sources. Learn about what offline sources can mean.
These are the different interaction types available for the report.
- Page view: the customer viewed one of your HubSpot pages, or an external page with your HubSpot tracking code.
- Form submission: the customer submitted a form tracked by HubSpot.
- CTA click: the customer clicked a HubSpot CTA.
- Social post click: the customer clicked a social post published through HubSpot.
- Marketing email click: the customer clicked within a marketing email sent through HubSpot.
- Sales email reply: the customer replied to a one-to-one email that is tracked and logged by HubSpot.
- Meeting: the customer had a meeting with a HubSpot user.
- Call: the customer had a call with a HubSpot user.
- Contact import: the customer was imported to HubSpot.
- Conversations: the customer went through a conversation with a HubSpot user.
- Ad click: the customer clicked one of your ads tracked by HubSpot.