Create multi-touch deal create attribution reports (BETA)
Last updated: March 16, 2021
|Marketing Hub Enterprise|
Deal create attribution measures the journey of contacts up to the moment that the deal they're associated with was created. This type of report enables you to understand how effective your marketing efforts are at nurturing leads up to the sales handoff.
Below, learn how to create a report and the different types of data available to you.
Create a report
To create a deal create attribution report:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Reports > Reports.
- In the upper right, click Create custom report.
- In the left panel, select Attribution.
- Select Deal create, then click Next in the top right.
- Click the edit pencil icon to name your report.
- In the left panel, use the Explore tab to learn about the different types of reports you can create using deal attribution. Next to each type of report, click View to view a sample report. When viewing a sample report, the Configure tab will automatically update to produce the report.
After viewing sample reports, you can further configure your report as needed.
Configure your report
To customize your report, in the left panel, click the Configure tab.
Using the dropdown menus in the Configure tab, you can customize the following elements of your report:
- Chart type: select how you want your data to be represented. Learn more about the different chart types available in HubSpot.
Please note: the Donut, Pie, and Summary chart types can only be selected when using one attribution model. To select these chart types, remove additional attribution models. You can then add more attribution models after selecting the chart type to add those models as columns in your raw data.
- Deal create date: select the deals you want to analyze based on when they were created. If you select a filter containing a Week, the week starts on Sunday.
In addition to chart type and deal create date, you can further segment the deals included in the report by using additional filters.
Add report filters
Using the dropdown menus in the left sidebar under Filters, you can add the following filters to your report:
- Deals: filter the report by specific deals.
- Deal pipeline: filter the report by specific deal pipelines.
- Deal owner: filter the report by specific deal owners.
- Deal type: filter the report by specific deal type.
- Campaigns: filter the report by specific campaigns. Only deals that are associated with the selected campaigns will appear in the report.
- Company: filter the report by specific companies.
- Asset types: filter the report by specific assets. Only deals associated with contacts that interacted with the selected asset types will appear in the report.
Select data dimensions
In the Configure tab under Data, select the data dimension that you want to measure deal creation by:
- Asset type: the type of asset that contacts interacted with. Learn more about the types of assets included in reporting.
- Asset title: the title of the asset that contacts interacted with.
- Company: the name of the company that a contact is associated with.
- Deal: the name of the deal. Enables you to drill down interactions for each deal
- Campaign: the name of the campaign linked to the marketing assets that contacts interacted with.
- Deal owner: the HubSpot user assigned to a deal.
- Deal pipeline: the name of the deal pipeline.
- Deal type: the type of deal.
- Interaction source: the session source where interaction took place. For example, direct traffic or organic search. Learn more about interaction sources.
- Interaction position: the contact's position in the customer journey when their interaction took place.
- Interaction type: the type of interaction performed by a contact associated with a deal before the deal was created. For example, page views or marketing email clicks. Learn more about interaction types.
You can add a second dimension to a report by clicking + Add another dimension.
Select attribution models
In the Configure tab under Data, select the report's attribution model:.
- First interaction: attributes 100% of the contact credits to the contact's first interaction in the conversion path.
- Last interaction: attributes 100% of the contact credits to the contact's last interaction in the conversion path.
- Linear: attributes the contact credits equally to each interaction in the conversion path.
- Attributes 40% of the contact credits to the first interaction and lead conversion interactions each.
- Attributes the remaining 20% evenly across all other interactions.
- Attributes 30% of the contact credits to the first interaction, 30% to the interaction that created the contact, and 30% to the last interaction that created the deal.
- Attributes the remaining 10% evenly across all interactions between first and last.
- Time decay:
- Attributes contact credits more heavily to more recent interactions.
- Credits are distributed using a 7-day half-life. This means an interaction 8 days before a conversion gets half as much credit as an ad interaction 1 day before the same conversion.
Save your report
To save a report to your reports list or a dashboard:
- Click Save in the top right.
- In the right panel, enter the report name, then select where you want to save the report to:
- Don't add to dashboard: the report will be added to your reports list.
- Add to existing dashboard: the report will be added to an existing dashboard. To select the dashboard to add the report to, click the dropdown menu.
- Add to new dashboard: the report will be added to a dashboard you'll create. Enter the dashboard's name, and select its visibility.
- In the bottom right, click Next. Then select who can access the report:
- Private to owner: allow only your user and admins to view and edit the report. A Super Admin can only select this if they are the owner of the report.
- Everyone: allow all users in your HubSpot account to view the report.
- Select View and edit to allow all users to view and edit the report.
- Select View only to allow all users to view, but not edit, the report.
- Only specific users and teams (Enterprise only): allow specific users and teams in your HubSpot account to view the report.
- Select View and edit to allow specific users to view and edit the dashboard. Click Next in the bottom right and select the users and teams that will have view and edit access to the report.
- Select View only to allow specific users to view, but not edit, the dashboard. Click Next in the bottom right and select the users and teams that will have view access to the report.
- Click Save.
You can also export your report to take your data offline. To export your report:
- In the upper right, click Export.
- In the dialog box, enter the name of the export, then select the File format that you want to save the report as. Click Export. The file will begin processing, and you'll receive a notification once the report is available for download.
Asset and interaction metric definitions
- Contact import: importing contacts.
- Website page: website pages in HubSpot.
- Landing page: landing pages in HubSpot.
- Blog post: blog posts in HubSpot.
- Listing page: blog listing pages in HubSpot.
- Meeting: meetings set up or logged in HubSpot.
- Knowledge article: articles in your HubSpot knowledge base.
- Misc. HubSpot page: a HubSpot-built page that are not categorized, such as meeting links and subscription pages.
- Pages without content type: any pages that are not categorized above with your HubSpot tracking code installed, including pages you're hosting externally.
- Social post: social posts published through HubSpot.
- Sales email: one-to-one emails sent through, tracked by, or logged in HubSpot.
- Ads: ads tracked in HubSpot.
- Conversation: conversations in HubSpot.
- Integration: interactions logged on a contact record through an integration (e.g., contact created in Salesforce, Zoom, custom API).
- Other lead creation: contact was created by other means not stated (e.g., manually created in HubSpot, created through the HubSpot Sales extension).
Interaction models attribute credit to the interactions that led to deal creation in HubSpot, and will give more credit to key conversion points in the lead conversion journey. The key conversion points are:
- First interaction: the contact's first interaction recorded in HubSpot. This is usually their first visit to your website.
- Last interaction: the contact's last interaction before they were converted to a contact in HubSpot.
Any interactions that occur between these key conversion points are called middle interactions or other interactions.
Interactions are categorized by the traffic source of the session where they occurred. For example, a page view during a session that started through an AdWords ad will be categorized as Paid Search.
Where the interaction doesn't occur during a session, they will be categorized based on the type of interaction:
- Meeting, Call, Sales email reply, and Conversation interactions are categorized as Sales.
- Marketing email click interactions are categorized as Email marketing.
- Social post click interactions are categorized as Organic social.
- If the interaction was the creation of the contact and this occurred offline, they are categorized as Offline sources. Learn about what offline sources can mean.
Interaction types categorize the asset interactions that a contact performed before deal creation. The following interaction types are available in the deal create attribution report:
- Page view: the contact viewed one of your HubSpot pages, or an external page with your HubSpot tracking code.
- Form submission: the contact submitted a form tracked by HubSpot.
- CTA click: the contact clicked a HubSpot CTA.
- Social post click: the contact clicked a social post published through HubSpot.
- Marketing email click: the contact clicked within a marketing email sent through HubSpot.
- Sales email reply: the contact replied to a one-to-one email that is tracked and logged by HubSpot.
- Meeting: the contact had a meeting with a HubSpot user.
- Call: the contact had a call with a HubSpot user.
- Contact creation in HubSpot: the contact was created in HubSpot. This includes imports and manual creation.
- Conversations: the contact went through a conversation with a HubSpot user.
- Ad click: the contact clicked one of your ads tracked by HubSpot.
Understand HubSpot's traffic sources in the traffic analytics tool
When using the Sources tab in the traffic analytics tool, HubSpot categorizes different traffic metrics into...Knowledge Base
Create multi-touch revenue attribution reports
Create a custom multi-touch revenue attribution report. Multi-touch attribution relates revenue in the form...Knowledge Base
Create custom reports
With custom reports, you have more flexibility in analyzing objects and activities in your HubSpot account....Knowledge Base