Troubleshoot your Facebook Ads account connection
Last updated: December 7, 2020
If your Facebook Ads account doesn't appear when you try to connect it to HubSpot, or if you see an error during the account connection process, try the following troubleshooting steps.
1. Ensure you’re using the correct Facebook user
When connecting your Facebook Ads accounts to HubSpot, Facebook will try to detect if you're already logged in. If you're logged in to Facebook, the user that you're logged in with will be used to authorize the HubSpot connection. This can be an issue if you have multiple accounts or if someone else is logged in to Facebook on your computer.To ensure that you're logged in to the correct Facebook account:
- Open a new tab in your browser and navigate to Facebook.
- If you're brought to the sign-in page, log in with the correct user.
- If you're already signed in to Facebook, sign out and then sign back in as the correct user.
- After logging in as the correct user, connect the Facebook Ads account to HubSpot again.
If your Facebook Ads account still doesn't appear while connecting, you may need to check your Facebook Ads permissions.
2. Check your user permissions
To connect a Facebook Ads account to HubSpot, you need to be an admin in the ad account. To check your ad account permissions in Facebook:
- Navigate to your Facebook Business Settings. If you have access to multiple Facebook Business Managers, you’ll need to select the business manager that your ad account is owned by.
- In the left menu, select Ad Accounts.
- Click the desired ad account to see a list of all Facebook users who currently have access.
- Click your user to expand your settings. Ensure that the Manage Ad Account toggle under Admin Access is turned on.
- If you don't currently have admin access, another admin in the ad account must toggle the Manage Ad Account switch on.
- After confirming that you're an admin in the ad account, navigate back to HubSpot and connect the Facebook Ads account.
If your Facebook Ads account still doesn't appear while connecting, you may need to reset HubSpot's app permissions in Facebook.
3. Check your ad account status
If your ad account has outstanding billing issues, or has otherwise been disabled by Facebook for a violation of their ad policies, HubSpot will mark your ad account as Inactive in your Ads settings. To fix this issue, you'll need to check your Facebook business settings and Facebook's support resources.
4. Update your HubSpot Ads app permissions
If you're running into permission issues after you've connected your ad account, you should confirm your app permissions in Facebook:
- Navigate to your Facebook user settings.
- In the left menu, click Business Integrations.
- Under the Active tab, locate HubSpot Ads, then click View and edit.
- In the dialog box, Facebook lists all the app permissions that the HubSpot Ads tool requests.
- Ensure that every app permission switch is toggled on.
- Underneath every app permission, confirm that every page permission switch is toggled on. You may need to click See all Pages beneath a particular app permission to get a list of all pages you have access to.
- Click Save.
5. Reset HubSpot app permissions
After confirming that you're signed in to Facebook as an admin user, you may still need to reset HubSpot's permissions on the Facebook side.
When you connect a Facebook Ads account, HubSpot requests app permissions from Facebook. These permissions allow HubSpot to display your ads, report on your ads, and more. If these permissions are edited or removed, it can cause issues in HubSpot's ads tool. To ensure that HubSpot has all the proper permissions, you can disconnect HubSpot from within Facebook, then reconnect:
- Navigate to Facebook and sign in as the user who originally connected your ad account(s).
- In the top menu, navigate to Settings.
- In the left menu, click Business Integrations.
- Under Active Business Integrations, click the checkbox next to HubSpot Ads, then click Remove.
Please note: when you remove the HubSpot Ads integration from Facebook, the Facebook Ads account will disconnect from any HubSpot account that it's currently connected to. You will need to reconnect the Facebook Ads accounts to all HubSpot accounts that you've integrated with.
- In your HubSpot account, connect the Facebook Ads account again. During this process, HubSpot will ask for all the required permissions.
- With app permissions reset, you should now see your Facebook Ads account while connecting.
5. Disable your ad blockerIf you've installed an ad blocker extension for your browser, make sure you disable it when you connect your ad account and when you're using the HubSpot Ads tool.
Ad tracking in HubSpot
Set up ad tracking in HubSpot and learn how HubSpot tracks which ads your contacts are clicking and...Knowledge Base
Create Facebook and LinkedIn ad campaigns in HubSpot
After connecting your Facebook ad account or LinkedIn ad account to HubSpot, you can create lead ads and...Knowledge Base
Facebook lead ads | Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers and general information quickly about Facebook lead ads in HubSpot's ads tool. If you have...Knowledge Base