The Lifecycle Stage property can only be set backwards manually on the contact's record or automatically in Workflows by clearing the property and then setting the new Lifecycle Stage.
For example, if a contact's Lifecycle Stage is set to Customer, it cannot be set back to Lead through an import or by a normal workflow process; you must first remove the current value. If you set up a workflow to move the lifecycle stage backward without clearing the value first, you will see the following error:
The Lifecycle Stages are in order as follows:
Subscriber > Lead > MQL > SQL > Opportunity > Customer > Evangelist > OtherIf you'd like to change the Lifecycle Stage of a contact backwards (e.g. Customer to Lead), there are two methods you can use:
- Manually change the lifecycle stage on the individual's contact record
- Use a Workflow with a specific set of actions to change the Lifecycle Stage backwards for a group of contacts
Moving the lifecycle stage backwards will also clear the "Became a [Lifecycle Stage] Date" property value for all lifecycle stages that are down the funnel from the value you are setting the lifecycle stage backwards to.
For example, if your contact is currently set to the lifecycle stage "Sales Qualified Lead" and you use the processes described below to move them back to lifecycle stage "Lead," that contact's "Became a Sales Qualified Lead Date" and "Became a Marketing Qualified Lead Date" properties will also be cleared, because the lifecycle stages SQL and MQL are further down the funnel from Lead, the lifecycle stage you are setting the contact back to.
Note: this also applies to the company Lifecycle Stage property.
1. Manually change the lifecycle stage of an individual contact backwards
- In your HubSpot Marketing account, navigate to Contacts > All Contacts. In your HubSpot Sales account, navigate to Contacts.
- Click the name of the contact.
- Click the View all properties button in the About section.
- Find the Lifecycle Stage property (use the search bar to quickly find the property).
- Click the dropdown to choose the new lifecycle stage for that contact.
- Click Save.
2. Change the lifecycle stage backwards for a group of contacts using a workflow
Please note: the Workflows tool is available to Professional and Enterprise subscribers of the HubSpot Marketing platform.
- Navigate to Contacts > Workflows.
- Click New Workflow.
- Name your workflow, select Standard as the workflow type, and click Create new workflow.
- Set on the enrollment criteria for your workflow.
- Click the plus icon under the starting condition box to add an action.
- Choose Clear a contact property value.
- Select Lifecycle stage from the dropdown, then click Save.
- Click the plus icon under this step.
- Choose Set a contact property value.
- Select Lifecycle stage from the dropdown, then choose the lifecycle stage to which you want to assign enrolled contacts.
- Click to toggle the switch at the top right to ON.