HubSpot aims to make your life easier by automatically associating contacts to companies and creating companies if one does not yet exist. You can find the Automatically create and associate companies with contacts setting in your Contacts & Companies settings.
This setting looks at the email address domain of the contact and matches this to the Company Domain Name property on the company record. When you add a new contact while this setting is turned on, two things can happen:
- If a new contact is added and a company already exists with a domain name that matches the domain (@domain.com) in the contact's email address, the contact will be automatically associated with that company.
- If a company does not already exist to match the domain of the contact's email address, a new company record will be created and populated with information from our database.
When you first enable this feature, you will be asked if you would like to create company records for existing contacts. We will not overwrite any existing company-contact connections.
Please note: This setting ignores contacts with freemail email addresses (gmail.com, outlook.com, etc). In these cases, HubSpot will also look at the contact property Website URL to see if we can match that property value to the domain name on the company record.If you'd like to disable this setting:
- Navigate to Contacts & Companies settings:
- In your HubSpot Marketing Basic, Professionals, or Enterprise account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts Settings, then select Contacts & Companies in the left sidebar menu.
- In your HubSpot Sales account, navigate to Settings, then select Contacts & Companies in the left sidebar menu.
- Click to toggle the Automatically create and associate companies with contacts switch off (when it's OFF the switch will be gray).