To manage outdated and unengaged contacts, create a list of contacts who have hard bounced on your past marketing emails. Any contacts who have been unbounced in your account won't be included in the hard bounced list.
You can review the list to make sure you're deleting the correct contacts, then permanently remove these contacts from your account.
Alternatively, you can keep these contacts in your account for reporting purposes. Learn more about how to keep your contact lists up to date.
Create an active list of bounced contacts
To create an active list of bounced contacts:
- In the top left, click the pencil icon edit and enter a name for the list.
- In the upper left, click the dropdown menu and select Active list.
- In the left panel, select the criteria for bounced contacts:
- Select Contact properties.
- Search and select Email hard bounce reason.
- Select is known, if you want to include bounced contacts of all types. If you want to view only bounced contacts of a specific reason, select is any of and in the dropdown menu, select the reasons you want to view.
- In the upper right, click Save.
- Once it populates, you can delete the bounced contacts.
Create a static list of bounced contacts
To create a static list of bounced contacts:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Marketing > Email.
- In the left sidebar menu, click the Email bounce tools dropdown menu:
- To create a new list of hard bounced contacts, select Create list of hard bounced contacts.
- If you have an existing list of contacts you also want to delete, select Add hard bounced contacts to existing list. To create a static list of contacts who opted out of all marketing emails, create a new static list where the contact property Unsubscribed from all email is equal to True.
- In the dialog box, customize your hard bounced contact list:
- List name: enter a name for your new list.
- Hard bounce reasons: click the dropdown menu to modify the bounce types included in this list. By default, all hard bounce types are selected.
- Time period: select the time frame for the sent marketing emails included in your list. Only contacts who hard bounced on emails sent during the selected timeframe will be included.
- Click Create list. It may take a few moments for your list to process.
- Once your list has finished processing, select the checkbox in the header row to select all contacts on the first page of your list. Click Select all [number of contacts] to select all contacts in the list.
- Click the More dropdown menu, then select Delete to delete these contacts.
- Enter the number of contacts you're deleting, then click Delete.