During the import process, you'll have the option to map the columns of your CSV file to properties in HubSpot. Below are examples of what your CSV files should look like for contacts, companies, and deals:
- Contacts sample spreadsheet [download]
- Companies sample spreadsheet [download]
- Deals sample spreadsheet [download] (CRM)
Please take note of the following when importing new contact records into HubSpot:
- Contact names need to be split into First Name and Last Name columns.
- The Email column is required.
- The domain name in a contact's email address can be used to automatically create and associate companies with the imported contact records.
- Custom properties that don't already exist in HubSpot (e.g., Favorite Color) can be added during the import process.
Some other things to consider when importing contacts, companies, or deal records:
- It is not possible to import more than one record type with a single CSV file. You must perform a separate import for each record type: contacts, companies, and deals.
- This can be done by importing the same spreadsheet multiple times and adding/removing columns as needed.
- Alternatively, you can create separate spreadsheets for each record type (one for contacts, one for companies, and one for deals).
- If your spreadsheet has a column that does not have a corresponding property in HubSpot, you will be prompted to create a custom property for it. You'll see this in the contacts sample file above – Favorite Color is a custom property that can be created during import.
- To import notes or activity data, you can bring them in as a custom property.
- For example, you can create a custom Notes property, add Notes as a column in your CSV file, and then run the import.
- Custom properties will appear on the object record, not as separate engagements or activities on the timeline.
- Companies can be automatically associated with contacts based on the company domain name and email address of contacts.
- For example, a contact with the email address firstname.lastname@example.org will automatically be associated with the company record HubSpot, since that company record's domain name is hubspot.com.
- This automatic association will only occur if you have the Automatically create and associate companies with contacts setting enabled. Learn more here.
- Contacts and companies will be de-duplicated based on email address and company domain name, respectively. Learn more about de-duplication for contacts and companies here.
- Rather than creating a duplicate record, HubSpot will update the existing record with the data from the imported spreadsheet.
- De-duplication for deal records is not available at this time. Additionally, information cannot be imported into your deals database as a way to edit existing deals.
When you're ready to start importing records, follow the instructions below for contacts, companies, and deals:
Note that Excel does not always properly save special characters when a CSV file type is in use. You can import your list into Google Docs to resolve this.
Want to see what other users are saying? Check out this thread on the community forum.