In order to import contacts, companies, deals, tickets, or products into HubSpot, you'll need to have your import data stored in a file on your computer.
During the import process, you'll have the option to map the columns of your file to properties in HubSpot. Below are examples of how your files should look like for contacts, companies, deals, tickets, and products:
- Contacts sample spreadsheet [download]
- Companies sample spreadsheet [download]
- Deals sample spreadsheet [download]
- Tickets sample spreadsheet [download]
- Products sample spreadsheet [download]
These example files are not formatted to act as sample import files as they include certain notes on formatting your import file. Open and view them for further advice on formatting your import file.
You can include most properties in your spreadsheet when importing a file into HubSpot. You can also set up a single import file for notes when you are importing and associating two separate files. These are recommended and required fields for each object listed below:
- First Name (recommended; separate column from Last name)
- Last Name (recommended; separate column from First name)
- Email (required for deduplication)
- Company domain name (required for deduplication)
- Deal name
- Ticket name
- Ticket status
- Activity date
- Note body
- If your spreadsheet has a column that does not have a corresponding property in HubSpot, you will be prompted to create a custom property for it.
- Companies can be automatically associated with contacts based on the company domain name and email address of contacts.
- For example, a contact with the email address email@example.com will automatically be associated with the company record HubSpot, since that company record's domain name is hubspot.com.
- This automatic association will only occur if you have the Automatically create and associate companies with contacts setting enabled.
- Other record types can also be associated through an import.
- Contacts and companies will be deduplicated based on email address and company domain name, respectively. Rather than creating a duplicate record, HubSpot will update the existing record with the data from the imported spreadsheet.
- Contacts, companies, deals, and tickets can each be deduplicated based on object ID. This is a unique ID number included in the first column of each export from HubSpot.
Please note: that Excel does not always properly save special characters when a CSV file type is in use. You can import your list into Google Docs to resolve this.