Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), companies need a lawful reason to use and process contact data and must keep records of consent and evidence of other lawful purposes of processing.
The contact property Legal basis for processing contact's data helps you collect, track, and store lawful basis of processing via contract, legitimate interest, and/or consent for your HubSpot contacts.
Please note: while this feature lives in HubSpot, your legal team is the best resource to give you compliance advice for your specific situation.
View the property
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Properties.
- Search for and click the property Legal basis for processing contact's data.
- In the property, view four default property options:
- Legitimate interest - prospect/lead
- Legitimate interest - existing customer
- Performance of a contract
- Freely given consent from contact
- Not applicable
Grant legal basis for a single contact
- Navigate to Contacts in your HubSpot account.
- Click the name of a contact.
- In the left panel, click View all properties.
- Search for and click the Legal basis for processing contact's data property.
- Select a value for the property, and at the bottom, click Save.
Grant legal basis in bulk
To grant legal basis in bulk to your contacts:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- Click More > Add legal basis for processing contact's data.
- In the dialog box, click the Legal basis for processing contact's data dropdown menu and select a legal basis for your contacts.
- Click Update.
You can also add consent and lawful basis to contacts via a list import