Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), companies need a lawful reason to use and process contact data and must keep records of consent and evidence of other lawful purposes of processing.
The contact property Legal basis for processing contact's data helps you collect, track, and store lawful basis of processing via contract, legitimate interest, and/or consent for your HubSpot contacts.
In addition, when using Gmail, email opens can only be tracked for contacts with an assigned legal basis. Learn more about email tracking with the Chrome extension when GDPR settings are enabled.
Please note: while HubSpot provides this feature, your legal team is the best resource to give you compliance advice for your specific situation.
View the property
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings settings icon in the main navigation bar.
- In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Properties.
- Search for and click the property Legal basis for processing contact's data.
- In the property, view four default property options:
- Legitimate interest - prospect/lead
- Legitimate interest - existing customer
- Performance of a contract
- Freely given consent from contact
- Not applicable
Please note: by selecting Legal basis for processing contact's data as Not applicable the contact will be eligible to receive emails from your account if they are included in the recipient list.
Grant legal basis for a single contact
- Navigate to Contacts in your HubSpot account.
- Click the name of a contact.
- In the left panel, click View all properties.
- Search for and click the Legal basis for processing contact's data property.
- Select a value for the property, and at the bottom, click Save.
Grant legal basis in bulk
To grant legal basis in bulk to your contacts:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- Select the checkbox to the left of the records you want to edit, or select the checkbox to the left of the Name column, then click Select all [number] contacts to edit multiple contacts.
- Click More > Add legal basis for processing contact's data.
- In the dialog box, click the Legal basis for processing contact's data dropdown menu and select a legal basis for your contacts.
- Click Update.
You can also add consent and lawful basis to contacts via a list import.
Privacy & Consent