Manage workflow settings
Last updated: July 26, 2021
From a workflow's Settings tab, you can manage when actions should execute, set unenrollment triggers, add associated campaigns, and allow Salesforce enrollment.
To access a workflow's settings:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Automation > Workflows.
- Hover over the workflow, then click Edit.
- In the workflow editor, click the Settings tab.
To watch an overview of workflow settings, check out the video below:
|See the full HubSpot Academy lesson: Workflows deep dive|
In the General section, you can manage the days of the week and times that actions can execute, allow contacts to be enrolled from Salesforce, and associate contact-based workflows with HubSpot campaigns.
Set times for actions to execute
By default, workflow actions will execute as soon as an enrolled record reaches the action. To specify when actions can take place:
- Select Specific times.
- Select a day from the dropdown menu. Then use the dropdown menus to specify the time range for actions to execute. Times are based on the timezone selected in your account settings.
- To add more action execution times, click Add hours.
When a record reaches an action outside of the set time frame, the action will be rescheduled:
- The workflow will attempt to reschedule the action for the same time on the next available day. However, if the time of the action is outside the specified time frame, the workflow will instead reschedule the action for the earliest available time on the next available day.
- To prevent workflow overload, actions are rescheduled to execute within a 15-minute window. For example, if the next available time is 9:00 AM, actions will be rescheduled for times between 9:00 - 9:15 AM.
Delays and if/then branches aren't rescheduled, but the action that follows will. For example:
- A deal-based workflow is set to only execute actions Monday through Thursday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- A deal enters a 2-day delay on Thursday, then exits the delay on Saturday.
- After exiting the delay on Saturday, the deal proceeds to the next step, which is an if/then branch.
- The deal is checked against the if/then branch, then proceeds down the YES branch. The next action is then rescheduled for Monday between 9:00 - 9:15 AM.
When records are rescheduled for an action, the action will show a count of those records, such as 1 contact in this action. To view the specific records and when they're rescheduled to proceed, click the action, then in the right panel, click the [Object] in action tab.
Set pause dates to prevent actions from executing
You can set a workflow to prevent actions from executing on specific dates. On those date, when a record reaches an action, the action will pause until the next available date.
For example, you created a workflow for an upcoming marketing campaign. If your campaign is running in November, you may not want to send out emails during the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday. You could add a pause date so that your email actions won't send out emails on November 26th. Contacts who reach the email send action on that date will be sent their email the next day at midnight instead.
Pause dates take other date settings into account when rescheduling actions. For example, a workflow is set to only execute actions Monday - Wednesday from 9AM to 5PM. If you add a pause date that takes place on a Wednesday, actions on that day will be rescheduled for the next Monday at 9AM.
Please note: records will still enroll and enter delays and if/then branches on paused days. Once they enter the workflow or leave the delay or if/then branch, they will pause at the next action.
To add a pause date to your workflow:
- Under On what upcoming days do you want to pause actions from executing? click + Add dates.
- Select a date by clicking the date field. You can only select days in the future, starting with tomorrow's date. To pause actions on the same date every year, select the Annually checkbox.
- Add more dates by clicking + Add dates, or click Save to save your changes.
When records are scheduled for an action, the action will show a count of those records, such as 1 contact in this action. To view the specific records and how long they're scheduled to pause, click the action, then in the right panel, click the [Object] in action tab.
Allow enrollment from Salesforce
In contact-based workflows, if you've installed the Salesforce integration and added the HubSpot Visualforce window, you can choose to enroll Salesforce leads and contacts that have synced to HubSpot. To enroll Salesforce leads or contacts, select Yes, allow enrollment from Salesforce.
Associate your workflow with a HubSpot campaign
If you're a Marketing Hub Professional or Enterprise user, this contact-based workflow setting allows you to associate your workflows to any of your campaigns. Click the Campaigns associated with dropdown menu and select a campaign name.
When a campaign is associated with a workflow, the following data will be available in the campaign:
- The number of enrolled contacts.
- The number of contacts that joined the goal list. Learn more about setting up workflow goals.
- The overall workflow conversion rate. This is calculated by dividing the Joined goal list number by the Started workflow number, then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.
Unenrollment and suppression
Settings in the Unenrollment and suppression section allow you to control which records enroll and when.
In company, deal, quote, and ticket-based workflows, you can set the criteria that unenrolls active records and also prevents them from enrolling or re-enrolling.
In contact-based workflows, you can manage the enrollment of merged contacts, remove contacts that no longer meet enrollment criteria, and prevent enrollment of contacts in specific lists.
Set unenrollment triggers for companies, deals, quotes, and tickets
In company, deal, quote, and ticket-based workflows, unenrollment triggers will remove actively enrolled records from the workflow and prevent them from enrolling or re-enrolling.
- Click Set unenrollment triggers.
- In the right panel, set your unenrollment triggers. Then, click Apply filter. Learn more about unenrollment triggers in workflows.
- Add more unenrollment triggers as needed, then click Save.
Remove enrolled contacts from other workflows
This contact-based workflow setting allows you to decide what will happen to enrolled contacts who are also enrolled in another workflow. By default, contacts will not be removed from other workflows.
- Do not remove them from other workflows: contacts will remain enrolled in other workflows.
- Remove them from all other workflows: once the contact is enrolled in this workflow, they will be removed from all other workflows.
- Remove them from a specific workflow: once the contact is enrolled in this workflow, they will be removed from any workflow you select from the dropdown menu. Click the Remove them from specific workflows dropdown menu to select the specific workflow(s).
Allow merged contacts to enroll
When you merge contacts, the merged contact may then meet enrollment triggers for workflows. The default behavior for enrolling merged contacts depends on when the workflow was created:
- Workflows created before March 2021 will enroll contacts as a result of a merge by default.
- Workflows created after March 2021 will not enroll contacts as a result of a merge by default. However, merged contacts can enroll in the future if they meet the enrollment triggers again and re-enrollment is enabled.
To update merged contact enrollment in a workflow, select Yes or No for this setting.
Remove contacts that no longer meet enrollment triggers
This setting determines whether a contact will be removed if they no longer meet the enrollment trigger criteria while enrolled.
The No, keep them in this workflow option is selected by default. Select Yes, remove them from this workflow to remove contacts when they no longer meet the enrollment triggers. When this setting is set to Yes, contacts will also not be able to be manually enrolled.
This setting also applies to test contacts. If you enroll a test contact that does not meet the enrollment triggers when this setting is enabled, they will be automatically unenrolled from the workflow and will not execute any of the steps.
Add a suppression list
In contact-based workflows, click the Suppression lists for this workflow dropdown menu and select a list of contacts that you don't want to enroll in the workflow.
Please note: If you want to unenroll or exclude records in company, deal, quote, ticket, or custom object-based workflows, learn how to set unenrollment triggers.
Adding a suppression list to a workflow will do one of three things based on a contact's current enrollment status:
- Contact is not currently enrolled in the workflow and is a member of the suppression list: the contact will not be enrolled in the workflow even if they meet the enrollment triggers at a later time, and will appear in the workflow's history as being found in a suppression list and unenrolled. The contact also cannot be manually enrolled.
- Contact is currently enrolled in the workflow and is a member of the suppression list: the contact will be unenrolled when they reach the next step in the workflow.
- Contact is currently enrolled in the workflow and is not a member of the suppression list: the contact will remain in the workflow. However, if they meet the criteria of the suppression list at a later time, they will be unenrolled.
If a suppression list is removed from a workflow's settings, or if contacts are removed from a suppression list, those contacts will not automatically enroll in the workflow, even if they meet the workflow's enrollment triggers. They will be eligible to enroll the next time they meet the workflow's enrollment or re-enrollment criteria.
Use webhooks with HubSpot workflows
Use webhooks in workflows to pass information from HubSpot to another web application. There are a variety...Knowledge Base
Set your workflow enrollment triggers
Set workflow enrollment triggers to automatically enroll records in a workflow when they meet specific...Knowledge Base
Create a workflow to automate your marketing, sales, and service processes and make your team more efficient....Knowledge Base