The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a new EU regulation which will replace the 1995 EU Data Protection Directive (DPD). The GDPR enhances the protection of the personal data of EU citizens and increases the obligations on organizations who collect or process personal data.
You can turn on GDPR in your HubSpot account settings. This is a centralized place to enable GDPR-compliant features throughout your HubSpot account:
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon settings in the main navigation bar.
- On the left, select Account Defaults.
- Toggle the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) switch ON. To only send email to contacts with an updated lawful basis to communicate, check the Only send to contacts with an updated lawful basis to communicate box.
- Click Save.
Once GDPR is enabled, you'll have the following features in your account:
- Cookie consent banner toggled ON by default
- GDPR delete functionality: a GDPR delete button will be surfaced on contact records. You'll have the choice to either delete a contact and keep the option to restore within 90 days, or delete the contact fully to comply with GDPR.
- Email send notices for non opted-in contacts
- (Sales email click tracking) If you're using the HubSpot Sales extension or add-in, a banner will show on contact records indicating a contact's declined processing state.
- Automatic default, GDPR-ready form with a lawful basis notice and communication consent checkbox form fields
- Unsubscribe links turned ON by default for sales email (such as sequences)
- New meetings links, which will include the notice/consent messaging by default (meetings links created prior to enabling GDPR will not be affected)
- Add communication consent and lawful basis to contacts via a list import, bulk edit, or manual contact creation