Merge two existing companies in HubSpot. If you wish to merge companies, it is important to understand what will happen to the data on the company records you are merging.
- Navigate to Companies.
- Click the company name that will be kept as your primary company.
- In the upper left, click the Actions dropdown menu and select Merge.
- Search for the company you want to merge into the primary company. Once you've selected your secondary company, click Merge. The domain of the secondary company will no longer be used. To learn more about what happens when you merge two companies, check out this article.
- You will be notified that the merge is in progress. It can take up to 30 minutes for all of the companies' activities to sync.
- Primary company: the company you begin the merge from
- Secondary company: the company you select during the merge process.
The primary company record will remain after the merge. The secondary company will be merged into the primary record.
In general, the most recent value for each property is adopted by the primary company. However, there are some exceptions to this rule:
- Domain: the web address of the primary company is maintained.
- Lifecycle Stage: the stage furthest down the funnel is maintained. For example, if one company is a Lead and the other is a Customer, the merged company will have a lifecycle stage of Customer.
- Create Date: the value for the oldest company is maintained.
- Analytics properties: these properties are resynced and you will see the total number of pageviews and visits for both companies combined.
- Analytics - Original Source Type: the oldest value for the original source property is kept.
What happens to associated deals and contacts?
Any associated deals or contacts will become associated with the newly established primary company.
- The secondary company will be unenrolled from all workflows.
- The primary company may join new workflows as a result of changing list memberships and/or properties.
Please note: company-based workflows are only available to Professional and Enterprise subscriptions.
What if one or both of the records are syncing to Salesforce?
You will not have the option to merge company records if your account is integrated with Salesforce.
What happens to new contacts with email domains of the primary or secondary company?
If you have company auto-associate by domain turned on, and you add a new contact, HubSpot will associate the contact with a company using the following logic:
- Check to see if there are any companies with that primary domain
- Check to see if there are any companies with that secondary domain
- Create a new company for that contact
It says "most recent value for each property will be used" but what about Create Date and Original Source Type?
For Create Date, the earliest date will be used. For Original Source, the value will be calculated based on the source of the oldest known contact on the company.