Templates are pre-made emails that you can send to contacts and personalize, without having to type the same content each time.
Please note: free users can access the first five templates created in the account. This means that if a free user is added to an account where five or more templates have already been created, that free user will be able to view and use only the first five templates that were created. If there are no templates in the account, the free user can create up to five templates total.
Create a template
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Conversations > Templates.
- Click New template, then select From scratch.
- Enter a name and subject for your template.
- Enter the body of your email.
- Use the formatting options at the bottom of the editing window to modify the text, add an image, or insert a link.
- Click the Snippets dropdown menu to enter a short, re-usable block of text in your template.
- Click the Document dropdown menu to insert one of your sales documents.
- To include personalization tokens in your email template, click the Token dropdown menu, then select a specific property. You can choose a contact property, company property, deal property, ticket property, or sender property to use as your token.
- Click the Meeting link dropdown menu to insert a meeting link in your template.
- Templates must include text. Templates with images only will not attach successfully to your email in HubSpot or your email client.
- When you've finished creating your template, click Save template.
Please note: creating a template with curly brackets instead of personalization tokens causes issues with HubSpot's template rendering service. Before saving your template, remove any curly brackets.
Send your template
Send your template from a record
After creating your email template, you can use it to send emails from the CRM.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to contacts, companies, deals, or tickets.
- Click the name of a record
- In the left panel, click the Email icon email.
- In the email composer window, click Templates.
- In the dialog box, hover over the template you want to send and click Select.
- Customize the content as needed, the click Send.
- The email will be tracked automatically, and the information will be added to your template report data.
Send your template from your email inbox
Send templates from your inbox using the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension or one of the add-ins:
- Use sales tools with the HubSpot Sales Chrome extension
- Use sales tools with the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in
- Use sales tools with the HubSpot Sales Office 365 add-in
Report on your templates
Report on your templates on your dashboard
After you start sending your templated emails, you can report on those email sends on your dashboard:
- Navigate to your HubSpot dashboards by clicking the sprocket icon sprocket in the top left corner of your account.
- Click Add report.
- In the left sidebar, navigate to Sales > Templates.
- There are three reports you can use to gather insight on your sales templates' performance: Template Performance, Top Templates, and Top Users of Templates. You can analyze metrics like total sends, open rate, click rate, and reply rate. You can also monitor which users in your account are sending the most templates. Click Add report to add these reports to your dashboard.
- If you wish to analyze your sales templates' performance over a specific time range, hover over the report and click Edit report settings.
Report on your templates in sales content analytics
If you are a Sales Hub Professional or Enterprise user, view more template reporting options in the sales content analytics tool.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Reports > Analytics Tools.
- If you want to view the performance of a specific template, select the checkbox to the left of the template name. This will add the template's data to the chart visualization. You will see the template's name on the X-axis, and see its associated send, click, open, and reply information.
- Customize the columns in the analytics chart. Click Edit columns in the top right corner, and select the checkbox next to the properties you want to display on your report.