The double opt-in email feature with HubSpot gives you the ability to require that your email recipients confirm they want to receive email communication from you when filling out a form. When this feature is enabled, it will send out a follow-up email after someone fills out one of your forms. From this email, they have to click on a link in the email to confirm that they want regular email communications. When using double opt-in, your lists will be much more qualified and engaged with your company. Users that have to confirm that they want email communications from your company are the ones that will fully read and engage with the emails they receive from your business.
It's important to know that when double opt-in is enabled, any unconfirmed contacts will be dropped from future emails. This includes new contacts who did not opt-in and existing contacts who haven't been sent an email previously. When you import a list, you need to specify that you are importing an opted-in list. Note: The double opt-in feature is optional and is NOT turned on my default.
To enable double opt in:
- Navigate to Content > Content Settings > Email > Double Opt In.
- Click Create/Edit Email next to Opt-in request email.
- Now in the email tool, you can add content to your double opt-in email to personalize it for your contacts. You'll see there's a token that is required (CONFIRM YOUR SUBSCRIPTION) in order to save and publish your email. Once you've edited your email to your heart's content, choose Publish Opt In Email.
- Once you've published your new opt-in email, you'll be taken back to your email settings. Now that you've created your Request Email, you'll want to choose your Confirmation Page. You can choose one that already exists from the dropdown or click on Create new page in order to create a new subscription confirmation landing page.
- Next, click on Create/Edit Email next to the Include follow-up email check-box in order to create your follow-up email.
- Once you publish such email, you'll also have the option of deciding whether or not someone receives a follow-up email after they confirm their subscription. To do this, check the box next to Include follow-up email.
- Next, select the appropriate enable option - By default, the double opt-in feature will be disabled, but you can choose Enabled for all pages or Enabled for some pages only. If you choose the latter, you can then select which pages you want this double opt-in feature to only apply to.
- When ready, click on Save changes.
- Once you have the double opt-in feature enabled, you can also manually choose to send a contact an opt-in email by navigating to the contact record and clicking the gear > Send opt-in email.