With the Facebook Messenger integration in HubSpot, you can create bots to respond to visitors when they message your page on Facebook.
To begin creating your bot:
- In your HubSpot Marketing Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to Social > Messenger.
- Click Connect Messenger. If you haven't connected a Facebook page yet, you'll be brought to your social settings. For more information on connecting social accounts in HubSpot, check out this article. When you're finished connecting your account, return to the Messenger tab.
- Confirm the page you'd like to use, then click Next.
- Enter a Greeting. This will appear at the top of the chat window to introduce visitors to your business. When you're finished, click Next.
- Customize the responses visitors will see when they interact with your bot. Click an existing message to make edits or click a plus icon between messages to add an action. You can set up automated questions and responses or select from the CRM actions to set contact/company property values or add contacts to a static list. When you're finished, click Next.
- Here you'll see a preview of what users will see when they send a message on your Facebook page. Toggle between the tabs to see your greeting and messaging. If you're happy with the preview, click Publish to take the integration live. Click Back to make changes before publishing if needed.
Once you've set up your messenger integration, you can see a list of contacts who have interacted with your bot on by clicking Audience in the left sidebar menu of the Messenger tab. Click Open in Messenger to reach out to your visitor from Facebook or click View contact to see their record in HubSpot.
If you need to make changes to the integration after the initial setup, click Manage in the left sidebar menu of the Messenger tab of the social tool.
- On the Configuration tab:
- By default, the Turn on contact syncing, menu, welcome, and reply messages setting will be enabled. If you turn this off, visitors who chat with you on Facebook will no longer receive the automatic greeting, welcome, and reply messages you've set up and will no longer be synced to HubSpot as contacts. You will still be able to view your Messenger audience and analytics in HubSpot.
- If the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) setting is enabled in your account defaults, you'll be able to enable a legitimate consent notice for chats. Click to toggle the Apply GDPR to Messenger switch on. Then you can choose to set up your bot to prompt contacts for explicit consent or, with implicit consent selected, notify them that by continuing to chat, they are consenting to you collecting data from the conversation.
- Click Edit in the Messenger bot section to make changes to your bot's welcome and reply messages.
- In the Greeting section, edit the greeting that appears at the top of the messenger window for visitors. Click Save to take your changes live.
- In the Menu section, you can set up menu items to allow visitors to quickly access information about your business. Click the pencil icon next to Menu Label 1 to add a menu item. Enter a new label, then click the Action type dropdown menu and select URL. Enter a full URL into the URL field. Click Save.
- If you want to delete your bot and disconnect messenger completely, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Disconnect, then confirm the action in the dialog box.
- On the Promotion Tools tab:
- If you want to add a CTA to your Facebook page to make it easier for visitors to chat with you, check the Add "Send Message" Facebook CTA box.
- Click Copy under Messenger URL to copy a direct link to the messenger bot, which you can then share.
- Click the Marketplace link at the bottom to navigate directly to the Message Us module in HubSpot's Marketplace. You can add this module to your HubSpot templates to give visitors easy access to your messenger bot from your website.