The tasks tool in HubSpot helps you keep track of your to-do list and easily access the records associated with each task.
In this article, you'll learn how to:
You can create tasks from a few different places within HubSpot.
- From the tasks dashboard on desktop
- From the contact, company, or deal record on desktop
- iOS app
- Android app
If you're a Sales Hub Professional user, learn about automating tasks on deal stages.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Sales > Tasks.
- Click Create a task.
- Enter a task name in the Title field. You can include "call" or "email" in the title of your task to automatically set the corresponding task type.
- Adjust the due date using the Due Date menu as needed. Click Add a time to specify a time on the due date that the task needs to be completed by.
- Click Add task or click Add and edit to add the task and continue to edit the details.
- If you clicked Add and edit, a pane will appear immediately where you can add/edit the following (if you clicked Add instead, click the name of the task to add more details):
- Task name: click the name of your task at the top of the box to type a new name. Then click Save.
- Associated records: add a contact, company, and deal record to associate with the task in the Associated records section.
- Due Date: from the dropdown menus below Due Date, select a date and time for the task to be completed.
- Email reminder: from the dropdown menus below Email reminder, select a date and time for a reminder email to be sent to the task owner.
- Notes: add details about your task in the Notes field. Click Save to save any changes you make to specific notes.
- Type: select a task type from the Type dropdown menu. You can select Call, Email, or To-do. Please note that at this time, customizing a task type is not possible.
- Queue: use the dropdown menu below Queue to add the task to an existing task queue, or to create a new task queue. You can also choose None if you don't wish to add this task to a task queue.
- Assigned to: select a user to assign the task to from the Assigned to dropdown menu.
- Click Save.
- Navigate to Contacts, Companies, or Deals.
- Click the name of the contact, company, or deal that you want to add a task for.
- In the activity box above the timeline, click the Create Task tab.
- Enter the details for your task:
- Title: enter the task's name in the Enter your task field. You can include "call" or "email" in the title of your task to automatically set the corresponding task type.
- Task details: add the basic task information in the Notes... field.
- Due Date: select a due date from the Due Date dropdown menu. You can also click Add a time to specify a time for the task to be due.
- Task type: from the Type dropdown menu, you can choose Call, Email, or To-do. Please note that at this time, customizing a task type is not possible.
- Assigned to: select a user responsible for the task from the Assigned to dropdown menu.
- Email reminder: from the dropdown menus below Email reminder, specify a date and time for a reminder email to be sent to the task owner.
- Queue: use the dropdown menu below Queue to add the task to an existing task queue or to create a new task queue. Choose None if you don't wish to add this task to a task queue.
- Associated records: from the Associated records section, the contact, company, or deal record you're creating the task from will automatically be associated with the task. From the remaining two record types, you can specify which records you'd like to be associated with the task.
- Click Save task.
You will also have the option to create a follow up task when logging an email or call on a contact record. To do so:
- Click Email or Call and enter the relevant information.
- Before saving or sending, check the Create a task to follow up box and click the dropdown menu to set a time for your task.
You can also create tasks in bulk for multiple contacts and companies.
- Navigate to your contacts or companies.
- Check the boxes to the left of any records you'd like to create tasks for.
- For contacts, click the More dropdown menu in the header row and select Create tasks. For companies, click + Create tasks in the header row.
- Enter the details for your tasks.
- Click Create.
- Navigate to the HubSpot app.
- On the Digest tab, scroll to the Tasks section and click the plus icon (+).
- Set a title, type, and due date for your task. By default, the task will be assigned to you. Press the Assigned to field to change the assignee. Press the Associated Contact, Company, or Deal field to select records to associate with this task.
- Click Save.
You can also add a task from a contact, company, or deal record on iOS by clicking Add note, activity, or task at the top of the timeline and selecting the Task tab.
- Navigate to the HubSpot (CRM & Sales) app.
- Press the Tasks tab and click the plus icon (+).
- Set a title, type, and due date for your task. By default, the task will be assigned to you. Press the Assigned to field to change the assignee. Press Add a contact, company, or deal to select records to associate with this task.
- Click Save.
Create task queues
You can create different task queues to organize your to-do lists and complete tasks in a series. To do so:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Sales > Tasks.
- In the left sidebar menu, click Add a queue.
- Give your new queue a name and click Save.
You can now add existing tasks to a specific queue:
- Check the box next to the task(s).
- Click + Add to queue, select a queue from the dropdown menu, then click Add.
To begin completing tasks in the queue:
- Click the name of the queue in the left sidebar menu.
- If needed, drag and drop tasks in the queue to change their order, then click Start queue.
- You will be taken to the relevant record where you can complete your task. Click the checkmark next to the task on the timeline to mark it as complete.
- Click Next to move to the next task in your queue. You can also leave the task uncompleted and click Skip if you want to leave a task for later and move onto the next one.
To delete or rename a task queue, select it from the left sidebar menu, then click the Actions dropdown menu, and select Delete [name of task queue] queue or Rename queue.
Please note: there is a limit of 10 task queues per user in each account. If you need to create a new queue and have reached your limit, consider deleting a completed queue in order to create another one for your user.
All of your tasks will appear on the tasks dashboard (Sales > Tasks). You can customize and filter your tasks view:
- To toggle between view types, use the Table and Board buttons. The table view shows a list of your tasks, while the board view allows you to drag and drop tasks to different statuses.
- To filter your tasks by assignee, type, and due date, use the dropdown menus at the top .
- To view tasks that are open, due today, due this week, overdue, or completed, or see tasks within a specific task queue, click the items in the left sidebar menu.
- To customize the columns that appear in the Table view of your tasks dashboard, click the Actions dropdown menu and select Edit columns. In the dialog box that appears, check the box to the left of a column to add it to the view. Click and drag items in the Selected Columns section to rearrange the order of columns, or click the x to the right of the item to remove it. Click Save.
Click the title of a task on the dashboard to make edits or delete it. To mark a task as completed, click the complete icon success to the left of a task's title or, in the Board view, drag and drop a task to change its status.
Tasks will also appear on the timelines of associated contact, company, deal, and ticket records. Find the task on the timeline (if tasks do not appear, click the Filter Timeline dropdown menu and check the Tasks box), then click Edit to make changes or click the Actions dropdown menu and select Delete to delete your task. To mark a task as completed, click the complete icon success to the left.
Completed tasks will also be reflected in the Productivity report on your sales dashboard. Tasks will appear here when their due date is within the report's selected date range.
Please note: it is not currently possible to export tasks from HubSpot.