How does HubSpot track website visitor activity?
Under the GDPR, if a contact of yours is an EU citizen, they need to be given notice that you're using cookies to track them (in a language they can understand), and they need to consent to being tracked by cookies.
To access your cookie tracking information in HubSpot:
- In your HubSpot account, click the settings icon in the main navigation bar.
- On the left, click Reports & Analytics Tracking.
- Click Default policy.
A right sidebar menu will appear. Here, you have the following options:
- Require opt-in (required under the GDPR): toggle the switch on to require users to opt in to cookie tracking.
- Notification terms text: this is the information visitors will see in your privacy banner.
- Accept button label: this is the button visitors click to accept your privacy banner's terms text.
- Decline button label: this is the button visitors click to accept your privacy banner's terms text.
- Disclaimer text: this is what visitors will see if opt-in is required for tracking.
2. Add policy
In the right sidebar menu, you have the following options:
- Policy label: this is the title of your privacy banner.
- Show on URLs matching: click Domain and enter a domain for your banner to appear on. This needs to be just a domain and cannot include the protocol. For example, hubspot.com or blog.hubspot.com is acceptable, but not http://blog.hubspot.com. Alternatively, click Path to show your banner on all pages with paths starting with specific text. For example, you might have a French language version appear on your site, which would have a path starting with /fr.
- Click the Choose a language dropdown menu to select a different language for your policy. Alternatively, you can click Start from scratch to re-write the notification terms text, accept and decline button labels, and the disclaimer text.
Click the toggles on or off beside each of your policies to publish or unpublish them. Click Preview beside Preview notification to see what your privacy alerts will look like on your site.
Once you’ve added translations and applied your changes, they’ll be reflected on the specified pages on your website if they're published.
3. Notification style
Select a color or enter a custom color for your notification banner. Click the Notification type dropdowm menu and select Top banner or Bottom banner depending on where you'd like the banner to appear on your site. Click Save when you're done.
To preview your policy banner before publishing to your website, toggle the switch off in the Cookie notification text section and append ?_hsPrivacyTest to your website URL.
After you've made all your option changes, click Save at the bottom of the page to implement your changes for testing.
Please note: this banner only applies to HubSpot cookies. HubSpot isn’t able to control the cookies placed by other scripts included on your website. However, you can choose to use the cookie consent banner to know when a visitor has given consent to place cookies in their browser. For additional information on using the banner to know when to include third-party scripts, check out this documentation.