Create a templateFollow the instructions below to create a new template:
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Conversations > Templates.
- Click Create template and select From scratch.
- Enter a name and subject for your template.
- Enter the body of your email. Use the formatting options at the bottom of the editing window to modify the text. To include personalization tokens in your email template, click the Token dropdown menu and select a property and property type. You can also add a meetings link by clicking the Meeting link dropdown menu.
- Click the Document dropdown menu to insert one of your sales documents. In the modal box, you can choose to require an email address in order to view and you can opt to include a document preview link in the body of the template.
- Templates must include text. Templates with images only will not attach successfully to your email in HubSpot or your email client.
- When you've finished creating your template, click Save template.
Please note: creating a template with curly brackets instead of personalization tokens causes issues with HubSpot's template rendering service. Before saving your template, remove any curly brackets.
Send your template
After creating your email template, you can use it to send emails to your contacts from the CRM.
- In your HubSpot account, navigate to Contacts > Contacts.
- Select the contact to whom you'd like to send the template.
- On the contact record, click the Email tab. Then, click Templates.
- In the dialog box, hover over the template you wish to send and click Select.
- Customize the content as you see fit and click Send.
- The email will be tracked automatically, and the information will be fed back into your template reports.
Report on your templates
With a HubSpot Sales Hub Starter or Professional or Service Hub Professional subscription, you have the ability to report on your templates to get a sense of which is performing best.
After you have already started sending your templated emails, you can report on those email sends on your dashboard:
- Navigate to your HubSpot dashboards by clicking the sprocket icon in the top left corner of your account.
- Click Add report in the right corner.
- In the left sidebar, click Sales > Templates.
- There are three reports you can use to gather insight on your sales templates' performance: Template Performance, Top Templates, and Top Users of Templates. You can analyze metrics like total sends, open rate, click rate, and reply rate. You can also monitor which users in your account are sending the most templates. Click Add report to add these reports to your dashboard.
- If you wish to analyze your sales templates' performance over a specific time range, hover over the report and click Edit report settings.
View more template reporting options in the sales content analytics tool.
- In your HubSpot Marketing Hub Basic, Professional, or Enterprise account, navigate to Reports > Analytics Tools. Click Sales Content Analytics.
- Use the Date range filter at the top to customize your reporting time frame.
- Toggle between By templates and By users to see the performance of each of your templates over time or to see the performance of templates sent by each user in your account over time.
- If you want to view the performance of a specific template, check the box to the left of the template name. This will add the template's data to the visualization. You will see the template's name on the X-axis, and see it's associated send, click, open, and reply information.
- Customize the columns in the analytics chart. Click Edit columns in the top right corner, and check the box next to the properties you want to display on your report.