You can import companies to your HubSpot CRM using a .CSV file or a plaintext file in CSV format. To begin, we'll cover formatting this CSV File. If you are already comfortable with this step, skip down to the section Start the Import.
Prepare the CSV
- Be sure to include a header row in your CSV file. Match each column's header with a property in the CRM. Download a sample CSV file here.
- If you want to assign an owner to the companies during the import, you can do this by including a HubSpot Owner column in your CSV file. Simply add the email address of the CRM user to each row in that column.
Keep in mind
- HubSpot uses the Company Domain Name property to de-duplicate companies and enrich them with information from the web. If you include company domains in your CSV you'll avoid duplicates and get more value from your database.
- Contacts will be automatically associated with company records after the import by matching the email address of the contact to the Company Domain Name on the company record. You can manage this setting from Settings > Companies.
- Our company import does not yet allow you to associate contacts with a company in the import process. Importing contacts must be done separately and they must be associated with the company manually.
- Alternatively, some people choose to first do a contact import and let HubSpot auto-create the companies based on the email address (you can find more information on this here).
- From the Companies view select the Actions > Import companies.
- On the Imports page, select Start a new import.
- Next, you will be prompted to select what you would like to import. Choose A CSV file > Companies.
- From here, you can either drag and drop a .csv file to import or choose Select a file. Once you've selected which .csv file you want to import, click Upload.
- Set the Import name and click Advanced options if you want to set your default format for date properties. Click Next, map your properties to move to the next step.
- Now you will be asked to map the properties added in your CSV file. HubSpot's system will do its best to automatically map the columns to their equivalent CRM properties - these will display in the Columns with matches section. If a match is not found, you will be asked to map the column manually in the section titled Columns without matches. Review the mappings to ensure that each column will update the correct HubSpot Property.
- Once you are happy with the mapping of each column, select Finish Import.
Following the import
After the import is completed, you'll be taken back to the Import Status page, where you'll see the following:
- Processed: This is the number of records processed by the import.
- Added: This is the number of new companies added. If a company already existed in the CRM prior to this import, it will not be included in this value.
- Errors: This represents the number of records in the CSV that resulted in an error and therefore could not be processed. Select the Gear Icon > Download Errors to receive a new file that provides insight into which records resulted in errors.